Mix Critique (Emmure/Woe, Is Me Style)

gotet10

Learner
Jan 12, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This is a mix I've been working on for my band.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17596348/Lee 1.mp3

I wound up with an almost Speaker Of The Dead sounding mix with something along the lines of the new Of Mice & Men CD.

Tell me what you think.

I could particularly use some help making the kick rolls (particularly at the beginning) sounding less jumbled.

Thanks guys!

I like the guitar sound. Drums sound programmed to me. The bass fills it's space nicely imo. I wish there were some vocals. It's always nicer to listen to mixes with vocals.

But apart from the drums I really enjoy this mix.

i love the energy to the mix. all the jun's sound sweet. and Emmure is the deff the first band i thought of listening to this. pretty sweet man.

Yeah I definitely have to go back and work on the drum programming. I was just trying to get a rough feel for the mix. Vocals will be done this weekend and then I'll post up a better finished copy, but for the mix its self, you guys like the way it sounds?

That guitar riff in the begginning sounds like it's off tempo with the kick, especially on the bends... Maybe I'm crazy, but it's weird.

But yeah, reminded me so much of Emmure just when I heard that :p Apart from the drums sounding real programmed, it's pretty nice man. Can't tell you where, but some muted guitar notes still has a little "buzz" at the end.

The octaves sound out of tune. I know that can be a bitch. When I go in to doing octaves, I tune the G to the A till I hit that sweet spot. I don't care if my tuner says the G's off because it's really my guitars intonation. Just a heads up. :) (Prob not a thorough way to do it, but it works for me at least and they sound in tune)

I do that and I also tune my low dropped string to the 4th string by ear because of the intonation. Just sounds off and annoying to me when I use a tuner. Of course I use a tuner for the rest. Nice mix though man. I like it. Might a suggest more of a highpass on those guitars? I don't know if there is one or if you have a lot already, but they could use a little more highend. It's probably just personal preference, I like mine to really shine. The kick sounds wonderful. Good job man.