mix critique

bradseven

New Metal Member
Oct 3, 2012
As many nearly identical posts as there are on here recently I almost hate to post this and contribute to it being a mix critique forum but oh well fuck it...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27994048/drop%20dead%20draft%201.mp3

Song I'm working on for a bands first full length and wanting to improve. Mostly just looking for post production/mix criticisms, personally having nothing to do with the material itself. I'm somewhat limited by RAM/Processor from being able to experiment as much as i should and this is my first post here so go easy on me at first lol. However I do realize I suck so you can be honest without me getting all vaginal about it.

snare/vocals are cool, Hihats are loud, kick is a little clicky/no body. The guitrs sound undergained and may use more low end, the lead gtrs sound cool. Its a pretty nice mix but it sound too eqd or processed :) my 2¢

cool thanks!
Any tips for adding the body to the kick? Like...just more mids in eq? This band does like them clicky but will tone it down a touch. As far as too eqed or processed would you suspect its possibly in the mastering or anything specific you can pinpoint? peaky? my ears are pretty much fried on the mix at this point hehe

i think youre high passing the kick too much, try HP around 60. Post some of your settings to see if theres anything weird. I like that snare, sounds like Joeys Snare1

snare is 50 % joey snare and 50% SD 2.0 snare would have to open preset to see which but decent amount of treatment on the mix of the two...

The kick hadn't been highpassed at all so would you say then it was never getting enough lows in the first place?...and therefore boost a limited range of frequencies above 60 instead? There was actually a significant boost in those frequencies through the full drum mix bus from about 200 all the way down so almost the opposite even. I think the multiband compressor in that bus may have been what was limiting those frequencies though after looking at it and may have been what caused me to give the lows such a boost in the drum bus eq.

So I adjusted the multi band compressor, have given eq a little boost just above 100 since that mix and added a little bit of reverb to the kick. It didn't have any before aside from the room mics/overheads content. Both seem to have helped give it some body.