Mix Critique: Stoner/Sludge Mix/Master

Pman

Feb 18, 2006
UK
www.facebook.com
I have been playing with a couple of guys in a doom/stoner/sludge outfit for about a year or so.
We recently recorded three tracks live at a friends rehearsal studio last weekend into his Saffire Pro 40.
1-2 Overheads, 3 Kick, 4 Snare, 5 Rack & Floor Tom, 6 Guitar DI, 7 Guitar Amp, 8 Bass DI
We then overdubbed a 2nd guitar track and are awaiting vocals to be recorded.

Here's a rough mix/master of one of the tracks.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8740721/wort/2013wort1.1.mp3

I like it. But try a little less distortion on the guitars and maybe crank some low end into the overheads.

try to add lowend in the kick and raise a little bit the bass
I like your super raw guitars :)

Cool, thanks for the critique guys.

The kick was picked up with a subkick mic and I've just put a sample ontop, but unfortunately everytime the gets through the gate, it brings all the bass and guitar picked up with it, so kind of just had to bury it a bit. Same reason for the washy overheads.

well i didnt hear the recorded tracks, but i guess you did more harm with sample replacing, since when is mud a problem???come on..

Sorry, i wasn't very clear haha. I mean i used a subkick mic to pick up the kick drum, but there was way too much bass and guitars from the room in the signal, so whenever it came out of the gate, there was just a huge low end boom in the guitars and bass which was unnatural and distracting, and the natural kick could hardly be heard, so THEN i decided to use a sample aswell, ha.