Mix Critique

He Who Dared

New Metal Member
Nov 26, 2017
Hey guys! I'm working on a mix right now of an old song my band released last year and I wanted to get some feedback. I feel like the guitars are particularly weak and I don't know how to make them feel beefier. Any help would be appreciated!

The guitars feel narrow in bandwidth and panorama. A fairly standard method for building beefy guitar wall is to double track the rhythm guitar parts, and then hard pan first on one side and the other opposite. Assuming you have healthy sounding source tracks, general eq strategy is to cut some mud around 300-400 and to even out possible drilling resonance peaks in the upper middle frequencies. Filter out excessive rumbling lows or hissing highs, if necessary. Remember, that the 'full' tone you're probably after comes from different elements complementing each other. A rough generalization would be the bass working less at guitar 'beef' range between 100-200, and more under 100 and then again more at lower mid range where guitars would sound muddy. Also, a tight rhythmic performance between the drums and rhythm guitars will give an illusion that the guitars sound 'brighter' when the drum high frequency transients and cymbals blend with guitars. ^_^