Mix Depression?

Seizure.

Jul 13, 2005
holland
www.seizure-music.com
I can't get out a good mix out recently even though i'm working my ass off to do so!
Do you guys ever experience this? just having good mixes one moment and just getting out nothing but crap the other?

Ifso: what do you do when it happens? because hell.. i gotta get shit done!!!

Different approach to the mix? different references? listen other music?
I've been listening nothing but sludge/doom/stoner stuff lately.. and the mix i'm working on is metalcore, i have allways noticed that the music i listen to reflects in the stuff i write.. maybe the same when mixing?

anyhoo... i'm desperate! help a brother out! :cry:

JB!

I can't get out a good mix out recently even though i'm working my ass off to do so!
Do you guys ever experience this? just having good mixes one moment and just getting out nothing but crap the other?

Ifso: what do you do when it happens? because hell.. i gotta get shit done!!!

Different approach to the mix? different references? listen other music?
I've been listening nothing but sludge/doom/stoner stuff lately.. and the mix i'm working on is metalcore, i have allways noticed that the music i listen to reflects in the stuff i write.. maybe the same when mixing?

anyhoo... i'm desperate! help a brother out! :cry:

JB!

Is it that instant feeling of "shit this is not working out!" when mixing? or is it that you mix and mix and mix, and then when you are done with a pre-mix, you start comparing it to other mixes and think "meh.. mine sounds weaker"?

I have both as well sometimes.. I suggest just taking distance for a week or so.. dont listen to anything, don't even think about mixing, stay away from you computer, dig up yer "my little pony" compilation DVD, go out fishing, whatever.. it could help just to stay away from it and come back with a fresh mindset, and a rested set of ears.

Is it that instant feeling of "shit this is not working out!" when mixing? or is it that you mix and mix and mix, and then when you are done with a pre-mix, you start comparing it to other mixes and think "meh.. mine sounds weaker"?

I have both as well sometimes.. I suggest just taking distance for a week or so.. dont listen to anything, don't even think about mixing, stay away from you computer, dig up yer "my little pony" compilation DVD, go out fishing, whatever.. it could help just to stay away from it and come back with a fresh mindset, and a rested set of ears.

Now i see what girlfriends are for rofl.

That must be the cure:zombie:

I'm going through this right now with a mix.

Been working off and on for a week straight on this and it's killing.

I'll get it pretty okay, then I'll start A/B'ing stuff while mastering, feel like shit, then go back and tweak.

I've gone back and tweaked some many times I don't even know what's what!!

Fuck.

I'm taking today off from it. Good thinking Bob..

i see mixing and working mixes as an art in itself, and like any artist you draw blanks, get writers block, stuck in the rut, whatever you wanna call it. just like how a pitcher has an off day and can't throw his fastball for a strike, same thing happens, so when happens like brett said, either don't make any critical decions and work on like tedious stuff that doesn't require maximum creative attentiveness or just leave your house/studio and go get an ice cream, walk in a park with your dog, go see a movie, walk some more, take a nap, then go back to your workstation.

seriouslly, sometimes i get into those like 3 am points where im close to suicide lol and nothign works. i really should just goto sleep and pick it up the next day, but im sure just like everyone else you push yourself to finish your mix or whatever the task is and then the next morning you wake up and listen to it and you go "what was i thinking?"

Been working off and on for a week straight on this and it's killing.

I'll get it pretty okay, then I'll start A/B'ing stuff while mastering, feel like shit, then go back and tweak.

I've gone back and tweaked some many times I don't even know what's what!!

Its exactly that.. the suck part is that i can't just quit work for a week, i mean.. even though its not bringing my main money it is quit a big part of what i make a month, bands are waiting etc.. i can;t just quit for week!:cry:

Consistency (and how to be consistent) is one point where the pros differ from the amateurs. I also think that this is where the years and years and years of being in the music game come into play (compared to someone who just started recording/mixing two years ago and gets "br3wt4l results, y0" out of POD XT and BFD" - not hinting at you here!!) ...

Consistency indeed.

I think workflow is a critically overlooked element. From what I've seen, all of the heavyweight mix engineers out there have a workflow approach that works for them that is organised and puts them into a position to deliver the goods creatively. Whether that's standard applications for FX, or a defined template for mixes, or something similar...it gives them the freedom to only think about the mix and not worry about what's patched into where, or why do I have 60 guitar tracks all playing the same riff. Speaking of which, don't get me started on arrangements.....the mute button can sometimes be your best weapon! :D

Before I touch a fader, I write myself something of a "roadmap" for a mix. There's no point in wandering aimless trying to "find" a mix. I'll have a goal in mind. That's not to say that I may end up deviating from it, but I will rarely start mixing a track without a plan of attack first.

If worst comes to worst, I will simply pull the faders down and start again. No point in flogging a dead horse.

Yup, get away from it for a couple of days. It's so easy to get sucked into that place where you don't know what's sonically up or down anymore; that happens to me all the time. But then when you hear it a week later with fresh ears, the most obvious stuff jumps out at you. Can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.
It's kinda like "hearing hangover" when dialing in guitar tones, when people mess with it for hours and keep boosting the high end because it sounds more dull every hour, lol.