[mix feedback] Face Your Fear Or Die

-nemo-

New Metal Member
Mar 19, 2016
France
Hi everyone, i'm new here, i'm a french audio student and i would like to get better at mixing

I need you for telling me what is wrong with my mixes and what can be done to ameliorate them!

I'm working on cubase 6.5 (and to upgrade to 9 pro asap), i know a bit of pro tools too because we use it at school.

First mix, this is a song called "Face Your Fear Or Die" from the band "Vifolly"
Link > https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1n8m2RkvD2jcDJhaWlzVXYtR0k
Mixing only, i have not recorded any of the tracks.

Thanks you for your time, interest and advices!
Cheers!

Dude it's clipping like crazy!
Watch your mastering...
The mix seems quite balanced etc, but during loud parts it really gets very muddy and the snare is lost, but it's difficult to say if it is caused by the mix or just the master (or lack thereof) that clouds everything...

Out of curiosity, where are you a student exactly?

Hi, thanks for the review.
I'm in the CFPM of Villeurbanne, i'm on the second year. We didn't have any course on mastering yet, we start next week.
I will re-do the master chain in few weeks, calm it down and modify some other things here and there.

Where are you in France? You had audio education too?

Wellif I were you, I'd just lower the volume until all clipping is gone, that way it will be possible to review it correctly!

I'm from France too, I have an electronics/signal processing education, and have been self taught as for recording/mixing and such for a loooong time

I remember fiddling with them or at least remember the son, but I don't know if I still have them and don't have acces to my computer, so I'd be interested in someone posting the files again!

Personnally i dont like the original mix that much. The snare is awful for my taste.
I didn't had time to participate to the contest (i got the tracks the last day) but i'm sure there are some people who had make a mix largely better than the original.