Mix feedback for Pantera/Metallica stylish band that I´m mixing

Laozen

Nov 19, 2009
Finland
Hi, I´d like to get feedback for my recent mix. Band has said Metallica´s Black Album for reference sound. I have taken a bit more modern view, but not ultra modern! Band has recorded tracks by themselfs, so tracks were not so good to start with, but they know that and are not expecting miracles.

Say anything that comes to your mind to improve the mix! :) I think guitars sound too lofi now, so any tips making them better?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14258501/Treatment välimiksaukset/Lähetetyt/Underdog MIX2.mp3

Really cool mix and song!!
Although i think toms need a little presence boost and the snare could use a little fat too.
Overall, it sounds great!:cool:

Thanks for your comments! I´m going to do those tweaks on toms and snare. The band gave me DI and miked amp tracks. I don´t know what amp they were using, there´s a distortion pedal on it surely. Miked probably with 57. I need to ask those. Amp track is mixed with lowcut 200hz and highcut 6khz, boosted 6db at 3k. DI track is just basic highcut 150hz, 2x reacomp, compressed like hell. I also made new aux track Kick+Bass DI, compressed like shit, to make the bass duck a little when kick hits.

:kickass: Sounds very Machine Head in places too.

Not as jaw dropping a mix as I've heard from others on the forum, it seems to lack that oomph or punch, but it's hell of a lot better than I can do as a complete noob, essentially. At least I can hear everything and it's pleasant enough, it does sound modern and distinct, good job on drums, I just really really want it to blow my head off with some killer drop or power though!

Just thought I'd add my worthless two cents about Machine Head really, especially earlier stuff. I think it's the vocalist that gives off the vibe.

I'd try to embed the vocals more in the mix. They sit too much on top for my taste.
Lower them in volume and give them a bit of ambience/reverb for more glue.