Mix Feedback - original song, similar to "Of Mice & Men"

Barnsy

New Metal Member
Jun 15, 2014
Sydney Australia
Hello Forum

I have been lurking here for a few months now and just want to mention how much great information is here, suggestions for gear and techniques, and most importantly the community of sharing production advice for heavy shit has really reinvigorated my engineering. There are so many amp sims and stuff I didn't know about until coming to these forums.

:worship:

I have been working on 4 songs for my band over the last few months, and am at the stage of mixing. I am the engineer and I also play bass.

Band Name: Age Of Menace
Song Name: Once More Around The Sun
Style: Metal influenced Heavy Rock

Production info:
All drums recorded on a Roland Midi drumkit. All guitars and bass recorded direct. Vocals recorded through a variety of SM7, U87 and SM58 (vox not recorded by me, the singer is overseas from the rest of the band at the moment).
All mixed ITB in Samplitude.
The drums are a combination of sounds - EZDrummer 1 with Drumkit From Hell, also a lot of my own drum samples of the Age Of Menace Sleishman kit, some Steven Slate samples, and EZDrummer 2 Metal Machine.
Guitars and bass are all EzMix with mostly Sneap presets. Vocal processed by some UAD plugs and EzMix. Mastering done with UAD plugins.

We have a song that we used a a reference for production, Of Mice & Men "Feels Like Forever". We love the guitar tones, the drum sounds, the balance of the mix and have tried to get close to this:

Any tips, notes, thoughts? Ways to get closer to the reference track? I have 4 days next week to revisit the mixes so any suggestion or tips are really appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read and listen!

Barnsy

Last edited by a moderator: