Mix Feedback

RoTo

n00b
Oct 14, 2013
Chile
Hey guys, I want ur opinion about this mix.

This is from my band's next EP, we are working hard to achieve a good product so I'd love to know ur feedback about the mix.

Greetings

After "FIXXER" and "metaldiecast" advices

Last edited by a moderator:
sound is good, guitars and bass sound good to me. strings sound very fake.
i also kind of like the tune but i can't understand the drums, they seem completely out of place to me...

how did you make the strings? you can try a very slight delay and a good reverb to make them sound a bit more real :)

I used EWQL SO, violins and violas have 2 samples blended each one: 1 for vibratos and 1 more for short up and down strokes, i think vibratos samples are too loud, maybe that's why u hear it fake.

Anyways that midi needs more tweak, i'm going to try ur advice. Thanks again.

Don't like the strings&percussion of the beginning, EQWL it's great, but somehow it hears fake. Maybe you can add some reverb and delay to this entire part and reduce the level of the percussion, I think it's too high for the intention, and also for introducing the next clean part. I think this part had drums instead of tympani and orchestra cymbals, you can try changing them to give a classical sensation.

The mix of the clean and distorted parts sound good to me, maybe it needs better frecuency treatment and mastering to obtain gain levels according to the actual metal productions here in US, but as an EP it's well done.

About drums, it isn't out of place, it follow the bass guitar in the entire clean part and really sounds good to me, showing a technical musician and not a boring drummer like Phill Rudd (ACDC), but if we hear the guitar could be confusing. About the EQ the snare hears rare, without life. It needs more power and punch, maybe adding reverb and transient could fix it. Kickdrum needs more beater. Drums needs a little more level in the mix, specially toms, cymbals are high compared to the snare level.

About bass, it need more presence compared with the guitar level, maybe using parallel compression could be done.

About guitar, sounds great, but in my case I prefer to use more distortion like Meshuggah.