Mix for my Band's Album / Full Song / Real Guitars

idk what it is about those cleans, but they still sound weird with the mix, maybe they're too loud? i can't tell. definitely sound less dry now, but idk. still not quite sitting right. everything else is sounding pretty epic though man, nice job. awesome lead tone!

haha tell me about it man, I tweaked them again today..
tweaking, like it, 2 hours break, listen again, tweak again, 2 hours break...hope I fixed it now...
thanks for the nice words again!
the lead tone was the easiest thing to get ,because they preamp just sounds awesome, and his playing is great too (I dont do the soli, our other guitarplayer is the man for this joy ;) ). gregs beta impulse is killer too.

Marco!

Great tune bro ... everything sounds pretty damn good to me. I do agree that Chiri's vox seem to be sitting on top of the mix rather than within it. Perhaps a touch more verb / delay could help? The sound of her vocals is very nice though so I don't think its an EQ thing cause I don't hear it fighting with anything else. Your vox are blended in great. Other than that, the mix sounds killer and I think any type of high end sheen it may need will be put there by James in mastering. The important thing is that aside from Chiri's vocals, all of the elements are well blended and balanced

Carlito :D

thanks dude, allthough I miss an epic last chorus with choir on most of the songs now for some reason ;)
haha, our other guitarplayer said the same about the high end sheen^^
I *think* I found a few nasty strong freqs in the clean vocals that I tried to take out, is very subtle though, hope they sit better now.
I'm glad that the rest is sorted out at least :lol:

Really solid mix, I would add a bit of clarity and reverb to the vocals as pointed out before, but sounds great so far!

thanks erik!

Awesome tune Marco!

Everything sounds spot on to me if you can tweak those female vocals to sit in the mix a little better. Im crap at mixing vocals but I think it might be the midrange you might need to dip a little to get it fitting if you listen to the contrast of both the growls and the lead.

Sometimes the 800hz-1k area helps sit things/poke out vocals a little. Maybe have a play in that area.

Besides that I have no crit at all, can't wait to get stuck in with the mastering! :headbang:

Thanks James...but why do you say you are crap at mixing vocals man? that's just not true :p
...clean vocals are a bit of a PITA sometimes, but usually I'm not having that much problems with them.
Can't wait to get the tracks too you too and see what you do with them :headbang:

an awesome guitar tone for sure, it could use a bit more attack though, so you could probably bring up the DI+vstpreamp track a bit.
your gf needs to go down, IN LEVEL that is, haha. you've mixed her too loud.
loving the drums and the song in general!

thanks!
its not a vst sim, its a real preamp, and turning it up wouldnt increase any attack because its in there for some meat, and not for attack...
yeah, they are loud, but usually people tell me that I mixed them too low, so I guess I just went overboard with it this time :D

i like the updated version a lot more .... super ! :)

the only thing i noticed, perhaps pulling a db or two out on the female vocals in the 300-600hz area could clean things up a bit more :)

thanks for your answers to my noobish questions :D

no problem man :headbang:

cool song man!....maybe a little more reverb and delay for your gf vocals

thanks geo!...yeah I got that with the ambient I think :lol:

UPDATE 2
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3961577/Mixes/Mago_Harpia-Deiis-AlbummixUPDATE2.mp3

hope some of you care to listen to it again :lol:
turned down the clean vox a bit, choose a different reverb for the famale vox and changed the delay...more amb in general, and I made *little* eq corrections to the cleans too, very subtle though.
I really hope that they sit in there better now, I think they sit as good as my vocals now
I'm a bit confused that I did the clean ones that loud, I think its because I got told a lot that I always mixed them too low until now...a bit too much now, so I'm struggling a bit to find the middle.

First of all, one of the better songs in the forum!! Great baritone voice (pet peeve - 14 year old boys trying to do baritone death/dark metal vocals - not the case here). I agree with some previous posters - alto vox needs work - maybe double the vocals, and/or add effect

My only issue is a bit of washiness in the top end of the guitars. There's definitely some unpleasant fizz that can be eq'd out, and then a nice high shelf could be done to bring out the sheen.

You could try using more pre-delay on the vocal reverb so the voices don't sound to far away. Other than that it sounds great!

The new mix sounds much better. But your GF voice it´s not there yet IMO. I would do a little cut in the low mid area and a boost between 3khz and 6khz. The voice sounds kinda muffled. But hey this is just my opinion :wave:

these speakers arent great, but i think the latest update of your mix sounds pretty clear .. good seperation of the instruments

my comment is actually more on the song itself- i think it would flow better if the verse was all growl vocals and the female vocals came in for the chorus. would provide more 'contrast' and seperation between verse/chorus. also female vocals are good but a little melodyne manipulation helps even good vocals

i'm assuming this album isn't going to be free, but i would definitely enjoy a copy of it :)

haha, no it won't be free since a lot of time and effort was put into it, but it will be far from beeing expensive I think ;)
Great to hear you like our stuff man! I hope the next thread I'll make for this album will be saying that it is out and were to get a digital download or a hardcopy, however one prefers :headbang:

First of all, one of the better songs in the forum!! Great baritone voice (pet peeve - 14 year old boys trying to do baritone death/dark metal vocals - not the case here). I agree with some previous posters - alto vox needs work - maybe double the vocals, and/or add effect

Thanks a lot man, I try my best not to sound "fake" or wannabe brootal on my vocals

Pretty solid mix, If this is not the final master, it cannot wait for it. Great female/male combination of voices, and songwritting as well. Congrats!

Thank you!

My only issue is a bit of washiness in the top end of the guitars. There's definitely some unpleasant fizz that can be eq'd out, and then a nice high shelf could be done to bring out the sheen.

Hey greg, thanks for the tipp. I tried it and theres still a little room for removing some fizz, but I have to be careful with modifing the highs too much not to make them too grainy/piercing...has to do with the mic placement I guess

You could try using more pre-delay on the vocal reverb so the voices don't sound to far away. Other than that it sounds great!

will try that, thanks!

The new mix sounds much better. But your GF voice it´s not there yet IMO. I would do a little cut in the low mid area and a boost between 3khz and 6khz. The voice sounds kinda muffled. But hey this is just my opinion :wave:

Hey Nuno, glad to hear that it's better at least...
I also think that the clean vox arent there 100%, but I think that they are quite close, and maybe thats the problem why I cant get them there easily.
The area you're talking about is exatcly the one I've been tweaking over the last few days. if I boost 3-6khz too much it sticks out in a bad/too bright way and sounds thin...gonna move to anther song and try to tweak them there and see if it gets me any further and use on the other songs as well, because I dont need to hear the parts anymore :lol:
Thanks for your opinion dude, so far everything you told me on any mix was a great help, so I reall appriciate your opinion cuz it always helped me in making better mixes :)

these speakers arent great, but i think the latest update of your mix sounds pretty clear .. good seperation of the instruments

my comment is actually more on the song itself- i think it would flow better if the verse was all growl vocals and the female vocals came in for the chorus. would provide more 'contrast' and seperation between verse/chorus. also female vocals are good but a little melodyne manipulation helps even good vocals
I think the clean/growl thing is a result of a late decision we made:
it was planed that verses would be all clean vocals, but after recording some of the lines didnt sound as good as they did in the rehearsal room, so I did those parts instead...it has to work that way now ;)

Are you kidding?? Her vocals are pitch perfect! If you opened her vocal track in Melodyne, all her notes would be in the center.
tbh, our singer doesnt like her very much on that specific song...maybe it has to do with the songwriting or the scale, but I indeed needed to tune some spots...didnt need to tune a lot of stuff of her, because shes dead on on most of the notes, but on this one had some parts that werent as good as other songs.
I'm generally not someone who says tuning is a must. if I hear something that needs tuning I'll do, but I'm not a friend of tuned to death/perfection vocals at all.
but you're right, most of the time when I'll open a line about 90% of the notes are DEAD ON...maybe that's why the rest who arent dead on stick out more than they would normally

Thanks for all your comments guys, you rock! :headbang: