Mix i just finished for my friend, thoughts?

clarbaden

Jan 26, 2009
sup dooods,
just finished recording with me friend just for some mixing practice, what do you think? what needs to be improved?

quad tracked - tse 808-poulin legion-s pres high and an orange cab impulses.
bass is a pitched guitar
drums are ssd4.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Program the velocities so they are more human (if you're using a sampler like SD2 or SSD)/use multisamples with different velocities.

I feel like the drums - no, everthing - need to take their own space in the mix : snare doesn't punch nearly hard enough and sounds kinda scratchy, while the kick lacks low-end. Bass lacks grit, and the guitar tone lack a bit sparkle. This leaves you with a mix that sounds kind of middy and flat. What you could try is start mixing with everything muted but the bass drum, then add the bass guitar, then add the electric guitars, then the snare, then the room mics, then the overheads, etc. Doing so will make sure everything gets its own space in the mix. After a while of mixing this way, you'll get the hang of how everything should sound and you'll have an overall grasp of the bigger picture.

My criticism may sound harsh but if you try doing those fixes step by step, you'll improve the mix a lot.

Program the velocities so they are more human (if you're using a sampler like SD2 or SSD)/use multisamples with different velocities.

I feel like the drums - no, everthing - need to take their own space in the mix : snare doesn't punch nearly hard enough and sounds kinda scratchy, while the kick lacks low-end. Bass lacks grit, and the guitar tone lack a bit sparkle. This leaves you with a mix that sounds kind of middy and flat. What you could try is start mixing with everything muted but the bass drum, then add the bass guitar, then add the electric guitars, then the snare, then the room mics, then the overheads, etc. Doing so will make sure everything gets its own space in the mix. After a while of mixing this way, you'll get the hang of how everything should sound and you'll have an overall grasp of the bigger picture.

My criticism may sound harsh but if you try doing those fixes step by step, you'll improve the mix a lot.

not harsh at all man, i appreciate the advice. will give this a go with my next mix.