Initial mix/tone thoughts anyone?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
This is my friend's song for the most part. The beginning is a total Dream Theater "rite of passage" ripoff, and he's delusional enough to argue with me and say it sounds nothing like it. LOL. But whatever...

I'm going through my POD XT into my audio interface, and just loading Recabinet impulses. No EQ'ing or anything yet. We're just messing around with different impulses and tones right now to find the right ones we like, so that's why there are so many different guitar tones jumping around throughout the song. That said, since it's not complete, and I'm going to FORCE him to come up w/ new opening riffs, I wanted to get your initial thoughts as to which tone works best, maybe some EQ'ing tips, drum thoughts, etc. Still a work in progress, but I'd appreciate any initial feedback. I'm doing 100% of the recording and mixing on my ATH M50s cans... so it's hard to hear or monitor the high or super low frequencies.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5218029/Marcs Song TAKE 3.mp3

All rhythm guitars are quad tracked on both sides panned 100/100. Lead and harmonies are dual tracked.

Thanks!

This is my friend's song for the most part. The beginning is a total Dream Theater "rite of passage" ripoff, and he's delusional enough to argue with me and say it sounds nothing like it. LOL. But whatever...

I'm going through my POD XT into my audio interface, and just loading Recabinet impulses. No EQ'ing or anything yet. We're just messing around with different impulses and tones right now to find the right ones we like, so that's why there are so many different guitar tones jumping around throughout the song. That said, since it's not complete, and I'm going to FORCE him to come up w/ new opening riffs, I wanted to get your initial thoughts as to which tone works best, maybe some EQ'ing tips, drum thoughts, etc. Still a work in progress, but I'd appreciate any initial feedback. I'm doing 100% of the recording and mixing on my ATH M50s cans... so it's hard to hear or monitor the high or super low frequencies.

its far too scratchy for my liking. try taking some treble out of there?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5218029/Marcs Song TAKE 3.mp3

All rhythm guitars are quad tracked on both sides panned 100/100. Lead and harmonies are dual tracked.

Thanks!

its far too scratchy for my liking. try taking some treble out of there?