Tone test

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Ok, so I just got everything setup on my new iMac and I just recorded a very quick test clip w/ my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. I dual tracked the guitars and added a touch of reverb to the 2nd track. Just used 6150 amp sim, sm57, and used my ltd mh-400nt w/ 81/81 EMG set. Ran it through my Presonus Audiobox USB.

Sorry for the sloppy playing. No click or drum track, just testing tone. Just raw guitar and messing around making this up as I go. LOL.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5218029/New 3-8-2010.mp3

Please let me know what you think of this tone.

P.S. - this is my very first recording using my new Audiobox and using this amp. I'm trying to work out the kinks. I'm just a n00b ;)

Thanks Shane!

Yeah, since this was my first go-round w/ this setup, I wanted to try and dial-in the tone as much as possible first before getting too far ahead of myself.

Next step is actually see what it sounds like in context as you mentioned.

Any other thoughts on how to improve on this tone? I'm not sure how to quite make it sound beefier. I'm new to mixing and adding presets like EQ'ing and stuff. I really like the fat tone a lot of you get in your mixes, and I'm not sure if it's just the mixer setting on my audiobox or what that makes it sound kind of quiet. I know it's a digital amp, but I should be able to get something a bit more bold out of it. Do you guys do a lot of editing in your daw after laying down guitar tracks? Please help. Thank you!

Edit: I really like the beefyness of the guitars that Dandelium gets, Backmask, black neon bob, etc. I know this isn't a real tube amp, so that will limit me... but I know i'm doing something wrong from either a recording or mixing perspective.

Do you think it might sound better running a TS9 in front of the interface? I've been debating on picking one up. Not sure if that helps.