New song and mix (mic'd 6505)

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Ok, so here's a clip of a new song I'm working on and wanted some feedback regarding the overall mix. I like the guitar tone, so I'm really just looking for suggestions on EQ I can do or just mix suggestions in general. Thanks.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5218029/PV2.mp3

Thanks!

Edit:
Here's the chain btw...

ESPmh400NT w/ stock EMG 81's -> TS9 -> 6505 head/Orange single speaker cab -> dual mic'd w/ an i5 and 57 -> presonus audiobox -> no post EQ as of now. Bass is just pitch shifted guitar. Drums are EZDrummer with various blended snare and kick samples using aptrigga.

I've been so used to using other ampisms and impulses and this is really my 2nd attempt at mic'ing a cab, so I know there's room to improve. But overall I'm pleased w/ the guitar tone, but I think it can be beefed up by adding some more lows and boosting the mid range a bit. This is also unmastered.

Edit 2:
Here's an updated mix... different riff altogether, but I tweaked the guitar tone added more lows and didn't scoop the mids as much this time.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5218029/PV_T2_2.mp3

60 views and no feedback? Do I need to start another thread with a more catchy title? :lol: My clip can't sound that bad.

What cabinet are you using? Guitar/pickups/pedals/etc.? Sounds present but a little bit thin IMO. When it comes to the 6505/5150 tones for myself, I like to boost rather than cut (usually around 3 o clock for bass, treble, resonance, and presence), except for the mids which I have at about 11 o clock (don't cut the mids too much, they sound fucking great on this amp.)

But that totally depends on the pickups and the player (and of course the cabinet, I always use Mesa OS, but for example an Orange 4x12 or Marshall sounds totally different), I've definitely been more conservative with presence if there's EMG 81s involved for example, otherwise it gets really brittle.

Thanks Shane. Yeah just the same old stock pickups for this guitar -- EMG 81's. I was borrowing my friend's single speaker Orange cab...not sure if there are various models or not. I just edited the OP above with all the details. Only pedal I'm using is my Ibanez TS9. But I totally agree that guitar wise things sound a little thin. I'm happy with the overall tone I guess but I am definitely going to re-borrow the amp and cab and try again with more low end. Next time I should have more time to mess around with mic positioning as I know that played a factor too.
Overall though mix wise what do you think?