Quick tone test (in context)

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
I normally mix on my monitors, but I got a pair of new headphones and trying to get used to these. Any suggestions on the guitar, drum, or bass tones/eq, etc would be great. Thanks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5218029/Riff idea 2.mp3

EDIT: By the way, the reason I can't reference on my monitors is the fact that they're not really operational at the moment. :( Stuck w/ headphones for now.

EDIT 2: Updated file with 80/80 panning... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5218029/Riff idea 2_update2.mp3
This sounds the same to me as the first link, but then again it could be the headphones. Everything sounds centered to me. :lol:

FYI - Guitars were recorded directly using my POD X3 and using Recabinet impulses. VERY slight EQ'ing was done afterwards on the guitars. Drums are EZ Drummer/DKFH as you can probably tell from the crappy tinny kit.

Why don't you just record another guitar track and pan 80/80/100/100? No one keeps rhythm guitars centered. It would sound a thousand times better.

As soon as I get back home I will re-pan everything and upload a new mp3. Aside from a poor mix, what do you think of the guitar tone? Or do you need it panned to give a better opinion?

As soon as I get back home I will re-pan everything and upload a new mp3. Aside from a poor mix, what do you think of the guitar tone? Or do you need it panned to give a better opinion?

You need to pan the guitars to get wider/more defined guitars.. and you also make room for the kick/snare/bass .. keep every instruments in it's own space in the mix :loco:

The guitar tone sound could be decent if it was panned.

It's still centered in the update though. You sure you're not running some plugin in mono?

Thanks guys. No, I'm not using any plugin in mono. I will mess with the panning some more later this evening to see if I can tweak it. I've just been using the L/R balance for panning on each track. Is there a plugin you would suggest for better panning?

No ....

Do it like this ...

Guitar Track 1 - 100% Panned Left
Guitar Track 2 - 80% Panned Left
Guitar Track 3 - 100% Panned Right
Guitar Track 4 - 180% Right

This will open up the stereo spectrum in the center to allow the drums to sit in the mix better. Only things that should be center in imho is Snare, Kick, Bass & Vocals other then that everything should be panned somewhere even if its as little at 5%

No ....

Do it like this ...

Guitar Track 1 - 100% Panned Left
Guitar Track 2 - 80% Panned Left
Guitar Track 3 - 100% Panned Right
Guitar Track 4 - 180% Right

This will open up the stereo spectrum in the center to allow the drums to sit in the mix better. Only things that should be center in imho is Snare, Kick, Bass & Vocals other then that everything should be panned somewhere even if its as little at 5%

Thanks man! I've been doing it similar to this, but everything sounds centered with these piece of shit headphones. I guess that's what I get for mixing w/ $20 headphones AND still being a nub. haha

Your positive you are using the PAN knob right ....lol

:lol: yes. But I have 4 guitar tracks going on. 2 of them are panned completely 100% left and right. The other two are sitting somewhat in the middle panned left/right at abo 62%. Bass and drums in the middle. Idk what the fuck is going on. I will start over this evening and see if I can figure out if I accidentally duplicated tracks more than once and left them in the center.