My XSr Test... MUAH HA HA HA!

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
ok, so here is my XSr (he he) test clips... Marshall 1960BV *two g12T75's, two V30s*

Mic'd the V30, of course... straight on where the cap meets the cone

I did the same 60/12k pass on all three tracks... no other eq

Setting 1: Pres 7, Res 6, Treb 4, Mid 4, Bass 4, Gain 4, Master 6/6
Setting 2: Pres 7.5, Res 7, Treb 5.5, Mid 0, Bass 7, Gain 5, Master 6/6

Test 1:
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/AudioPhile777/XSr_test1.mp3

Schecter Hellraiser 81> maxon 808 ( 0 drive, tone@noon, ballance@noon) >
(4 tracks Setting 1) > Presonus DigiMax LT

Test 2:
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/AudioPhile777/XSr_test2.mp3

Schecter Hellraiser 81> maxon 808 >
(2 tracks Setting 1 panned 80% L/R) >
(2 tracks Setting 2 w/ 808 @ drive@9oclock, tone@noon, balance@noon panned 100% L/R) > Presonus DigiMax LT

Test 3:
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/AudioPhile777/XSr_test3.mp3

Schecter Hellraiser 81> maxon 808 >
(2 tracks Setting 1 panned 100% L/R) >
(2 tracks Setting 2 w/ 808 @ drive@9oclock, tone@noon, balance@noon panned 80% L/R) > Presonus DigiMax LT

I have to say, I fuggin love this amp... so versatile...

Let me know what you thinks?

god damn! first jsx clip from a forumite that really impresses me.. damn.

did you track it really loud? I find that's the only way to get really niiice tones out of my Fireball.

cheers dude!

HOLY FUCK! I could NEVER get it to sound that brutal! No faiiiir!

I'm digging #3 best - try panning both 100% tho. Might give a bit more space in the mix as a whole.

god damn! first jsx clip from a forumite that really impresses me.. damn.

did you track it really loud? I find that's the only way to get really niiice tones out of my Fireball.

cheers dude!

I have a feeling that what you're both liking of his tone could be the fact that he blended a completely scooped sound in with the mid heavy sound (4 on the JSX mids is more than enough IMO). I'd imagine that would make it easier to balance the mids, which is something of a challenge with the JSX in my experiance. Either that, or the V30 in the Marshall cab pulls alot of the overbearing mids out.

Great tone dude. :headbang: Sample 3 is awesome.

The idea of more Bass and no Mids for one pair of tracks and less Bass and more Mids for the other is great. Up until now I have always quad-tracked with the same settings. I tried this method today and was getting some favourable results myself so thanks for posting the settings.

I hope you enjoy your aquired XSr.

I have a feeling that what you're both liking of his tone could be the fact that he blended a completely scooped sound in with the mid heavy sound (4 on the JSX mids is more than enough IMO). I'd imagine that would make it easier to balance the mids, which is something of a challenge with the JSX in my experiance. Either that, or the V30 in the Marshall cab pulls alot of the overbearing mids out.

it doesn't really matter to me how he acheived it, the tone rocks!

although that is a good idea.. i've got to try that. almost similar tracking with two different amps... almost, haha.

Cheers

wow... you know what? this is my first time tracking a tube amp...

I've always tried tracking two different sounds from the same amp, albeit it was a Line6 amp until the JSX... but... yeah...

THANKS guys.

and you know what? the cab is about 5-6 inches away from a parallel wall... :loco: ... which I know is usually a bad thing...
meh...

lol.

@ DSS3: HAHA! ... kidding, I do appreciate the amp, though. as you can hear, its teH r0x0rZ! lol. I cant wait until I pickup my mesa traditional with V30s from a pawn shop... I'm only paying $300 for it, lol. :)

as far as panning, i dont care, its a shitty DFH track... that listening to it again, I was ahead of the groove... I was just in a hurry to post this up cause it sounded awesome.

@ GuitarHack: The only difference between sample 2 and 3 is that I switched where they are panned.... they have the same 4 tracks... I thought I'd post that one up because it really does make a difference where you pan each guitar...

@ CJWall: I tracked it with the channel volume and the master volume both at 6... it was kinda loud, but not practice volume loud...

@ GuitarHack: The only difference between sample 2 and 3 is that I switched where they are panned.... they have the same 4 tracks... I thought I'd post that one up because it really does make a difference where you pan each guitar...

I realised that dude. I was acknowledging that it did make a noticeable difference. :) The middy track definitely needs to go on the 100 Pans.

Sounds fucking good.. You know, I was planning to buy JXS myself few years ago, but coudn't get enough distortion out of it.. Can you get it sound heavy enough without the maxon 808 and without changing the tubes...?

Sounds fucking good.. You know, I was planning to buy JXS myself few years ago, but coudn't get enough distortion out of it.. Can you get it sound heavy enough without the maxon 808 and without changing the tubes...?

Yeah, it sounds almost the same without the 808 in front of it... the 808 is just taming the lows a bit (it seems)... I would definitely use it witout the 808 live...

Just re-read my last reply, I hope my comment didn't come off as being rude. It wasn't intended as. :)

No Way dude... i didnt get any rudeness from it... I just misread what you typed... and I was half asleep when i replied.

I appreciate what you've done with the impulses and whatnot for everyone on here... I hope I can find something like that to bring to this forum, i've learned a lot here and appreciate everyone on it...

fucking great tone ;)
lucky you to find a traditional mesa cab for 300$ :(

Yeah, its a little beat up... but not too bad... I've had it on hold for about two months now and I finally brought my JSX down (NO EASY FEAT, fucking thing weighs a ton) to test it out (previously tested it with my HD147) and it fucking sang heavily... cant wait to get it out of there...

Something must have been wrong with it/the guitar used, the JSX's have more than enough gain for anything without any pedals, even with passive p/up's.

Something must have been wrong with it/the guitar used, the JSX's have more than enough gain for anything without any pedals, even with passive p/up's.

Yeah, that seems to be the case..And knowing the quality of the store where I tested it:rolleyes:.. But shit, for years I have thought that the JSX is too low gain amp for heavy metal:oops:...
Must... test.. JSX... again..