Tone test : ENGL SE 6L6 + Torpedo VB-101 (hardware loadbox+cab/mic/miking sim)

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys ! For some reason i didn't receive any e-mail about any of your replies... weird...

I tried a quick mix for this (same guitars as in the sample i originally posted in this thread...).

http://www.esnips.com/doc/4107e8f8-...one-test-torpedo_punkrockishquickmix_20090430

I think it's just decent but not quite there as you guys pointed...

I'm gonna definitely try a tad more bass & gain on my amp, and use a different mic/miking settings.

By the way today Two Notes (which is the Torpedo company) released 2 new cabs for the torpedo : a H&K Triamp Greenbacks loaded cab, and a Mesa Boogie C90 loaded cab... i'm gonna try those out.

I guess i'll record some new guitars following your advices (more bass, more gain, different cab/mic/miking settings) this weekend, and throw them in a quick mix.

So i just rerecorded most of those riffs, in a sloppier way, but i have followed your advice and i think it sounds better already, even if i'm not done yet :

http://www.esnips.com/doc/ba7ae5a3-d776-4933-851c-df00e735669a/djabthrash---tests-torpedo-20090430

http://www.esnips.com/doc/a374da43-8eed-4b6f-92ec-af3f7386aaac/tonetesttorpedo_punkrockquickmixv2

Basically i just added a tad more bass and gain on my amp, and on the torpedo i turned the compressor off, and used different cab/mic than on the original clip : this time i've gone for ENGL V30 4x12 + SM57.
It seems to sound fatter and work better in the mix, but it sounds too modern/compressed to me, i need more grit also.

Hey dude, listening to the Punk Rock mix, it's not bad, though still a bit thin and undergained IMO - I'm really not familiar with this Torpedo contraption so I can't think of whether to give suggestions for amp settings or futzing around with that, but it still sounds pretty small and distant to me. Actually, though, I like it better on its own compared to in a mix, and listening again I realize the bass is too loud in the mix version which makes the guitars feel small IMO. Also, that snare has some serious cardboard syndrome :lol: Keep it up though man, you're getting there!

And I DEFINITELY don't think it's too modern or compressed :lol:

Hey dude, listening to the Punk Rock mix, it's not bad, though still a bit thin and undergained IMO - I'm really not familiar with this Torpedo contraption so I can't think of whether to give suggestions for amp settings or futzing around with that, but it still sounds pretty small and distant to me. Actually, though, I like it better on its own compared to in a mix, and listening again I realize the bass is too loud in the mix version which makes the guitars feel small IMO. Also, that snare has some serious cardboard syndrome :lol: Keep it up though man, you're getting there!

And I DEFINITELY don't think it's too modern or compressed :lol:

haha :) i guess know it comes a lot to our differences in tastes :)

For instance i think i shouldn't add more gain to those guitars (but adding a touch more kinda helped compared to the first sample i posted)... and my mic positioning is like on axis, dead on center, touching the cab grille (i mean that's my torpedo miking settings), so i don't see how i can make it sound less "distant" you know :) Any hints would be welcome.

And about you giving me further advices, i think you should just ignore the torpedo thing and just gimme advices you would give with "normal" setups (i mean amp + real cab + real mic), since i can translate that with my torpedo settings (for the miking distance from cab, from axis, and so on...).

About the sound being small maybe i just need to add a touch more bass on my amp, and/or eq a bit the low end and midrange on my guitars in cubase. And i agree the bass is a tad too loud.
The snare sound i like, but it still needs some more processing to sound better in the mix (i was working on that before i got my ENGL rig back and bought the torpedo :) ).

At least if you don't find it too compressed that's cool since that was something people were complaining about in the first place.

Now i just need to make those guitars thicker, adjust the rest of the mix (bass, snare...), and have a sound in between this new sound (which reminds me a bit of Panter'as Vulgar Display of Power guitar sound) and the former sound (which i kinda liked also even if it was too compressed and thin).

Thanks again for your feedback dude !

The first definitely sounds too muffled, like the mic was too far away from the dustcap, and the second is better but a bit too bassy I think, and could use a touch more mids and presence IMO; still, I feel that one had a lot more promise!

The first definitely sounds too muffled, like the mic was too far away from the dustcap, and the second is better but a bit too bassy I think, and could use a touch more mids and presence IMO; still, I feel that one had a lot more promise!

Thanks a lot for the feedback dude !

The first one is actually totally on axis, touching the grille... so maybe some eq-ing in the high-end can "de-muffle-ize" it :) Maybe it's just the mic character also...

For the second one maybe i've gone too far with the bass knob on my amp this time (or maybe i need to do some fine post-eq-ing in the low range with my DAW). There was a lot of mids and presence already but i'm gonna try with some more next time to see how it sounds !

By the way i tried some other combinations... check that thread : http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ut-guitar-tone-mix-context-punk-rock-ish.html