Severe Torture guitar cover (ENGL SE 6L6, Torpedo VB-101)

Djabthrash

Aug 26, 2007
Paris / Montpellier, FRANCE
Since i always jam with that killer song by SEVERE TORTURE called "Serenity Torn Asunder", i decided to record a quick guitar cover and see how my guitar tone works for it.

Keep in mind the clip is sloppily played, and also slower/tuned lower then the original song.

I'm still using my trusted EMG81/85-loaded Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR, plugged directly into ENGL SE 6L6 with the Torpedo VB-101, which is a hardware loadbox+cab/mic/miking simulator (see other related threads here : http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...-101-hardware-loadbox-cab-mic-miking-sim.html)

More detailed info on the signal chain can be found once you click the link below :

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=5998

Let me know what you guys think.

Hard to tell since there's no drums/bass, but I'd say it has potential - could use more gain though IMO (palm mutes are a bit weak in the sustain department), and it's a bit harsh in the upper mids (just a bit too much crunch) - getting better though! (and thank you for only posting 1 clip this time, rather than like 10 :D)

Hard to tell since there's no drums/bass, but I'd say it has potential - could use more gain though IMO (palm mutes are a bit weak in the sustain department), and it's a bit harsh in the upper mids (just a bit too much crunch) - getting better though! (and thank you for only posting 1 clip this time, rather than like 10 :D)

Thanks Marcus !

When i get Trilian/Superior 2.0 soon i'll try a full mix version (and go back to some of my old death metal band songs also :) ).

When i listen to it i don't feel like adding more gain, i guess that's just a matter of taste in the end. When you mention the palm-mutes lack of sustain, is it for the whole snippet, or the first riff, or the second riff ?

About the crunchness that's something i'm aiming for but maybe i've gone too far on that... that's why i like to hear what other people think...
Do you feel it sounds too agressive, in a annoying way ? or it just sounds crunchy as opposed to very satured, but not annoying/way too agressive way ?

Maybe i'll try a new clip on that basis, using less hi mids on the Torpedo built-in EQ... unless you gimme another way you would do it (amp settings ? mic position ? post-eq notch ?)

Also, funny that you mention the 10 clips thingie since i'm about to remic (= like reamp except that i only change the cab/mic/miking part) with the Torpedo to see what kind of tones i can get with different cab/mic/miking setups (especially with a VHT P50E cab/Royer 121 combo hat gave me killer results in the past for a Deftones/36 crazyfists kinda clip, but that i'm curious to hear with a death metallish riff like the one in that current post)

so you say posting 10 clips of the same snippet is a bad idea (it's mainly for a shoutout sake) ? or you mean posting 10 clips of 10 different snippets kinda like i did in some other thread ?

Maybe i'll update that one on this single clip basis, and do another thread for a full 12 cab/mic/miking setup shootout... unless you tell me that's a terrible idea :)

Again sorry for the 1,000 questions here but since you're the only one that replied... :) not to mention your feedback always helped me to get better tones in the past (even if we don't have the same tastes in guitar tone)