guitar tone test w. different cabs/mics (ENGL SE 6L6, Torpedo VB-101)

Djabthrash

Aug 26, 2007
Paris / Montpellier, FRANCE
Quick guitar tone test, using my ENGL SE 6L6 with the Torpedo VB-101, which is a hardware loadbox+cab/mic/miking simulator (see other related threads here : http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...-101-hardware-loadbox-cab-mic-miking-sim.html)

I played the same riff many times with a different cab/mic combination each time.

-> cab/speakers/mic i used, close-miked each time (the Royer was placed a few inches back though) :

1) Engl412 V30 + Blue Dragonfly condenser
2) Engl412 V30 + SM57
3) Mesa 412 V30 rectifier standard open + Royer R121

Clips and details below :

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=user&value=djabthrash

Let me know what you guys think.

I'm aiming for a kinda Pantera-ish tone, very sharp, detailed, a shitload of presence, distorted but not too much, not smooth/polished, not too fat either. Me like some middy chunk.

While listening keep in mind the following :

- the strings are 6 months old
- the playing is sloppy as hell
- I had an extra useless element in the signal chain that may have caused a slight signal deterioration (using the analog out instead of the SPDIF out, causing an extra digital->analog->digital conversion)

I'll post some better and more significant samples soon (better and more significant means : better playing, 2 tracks hard panned on each side, in a mix context, using SPDIF out for a better source signal fidelity).

Btw the guy who can recognize the song snippet i'm playing here rules ! :) (not because my playing sucks, but for knowing the band/song)

I think I prefer the SM57 clip. I would be easier to tell with everything in context, but I think that the other two sound more distant. The Royer sounds too dark too.

I think I prefer the SM57 clip. I would be easier to tell with everything in context, but I think that the other two sound more distant. The Royer sounds too dark too.

Thanks for the feedback. Just recorded some new samples (dual tracked) with the same combinations, i will put them in a mix context tomorrow and post it here.

It seems to me that the SM57 is better mix-wise, but there's something with the character i don't like.

The Condenser is my fav, i love the character, but may be a bit more difficult to have it sit in the mix.

The Mesa+Royer is cool but darker as you said, i just decided to give it a try for the sake of it. It sounds more Vintage/Rock-ish than the other two that scream Pantera to me. I can still manage to brighten it and see how it compares with the other 2.

Anyone else ?

Goddamnit put some new strings on there already!!! Old strings can fuck up a sound so much.

Other than that it sounds good!

Yeah i know, i'm a lazy fuck :)

I might do that this weekend and do a "w. 6 months old strings" vs "with brand new strings" comparison :)

Glad you liked it. I've listened to it million times so i don't know what to think anymore :)

By the way i'm gonna post some new samples today (dual tracked, mix context) in a new thread.

EDIT : here : http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...s-cabs-mics-engl-se-6l6-torpedo-vb-101-a.html