gr tone in mix test w. various cabs/mics (ENGL SE 6L6, Torpedo VB-101)

I liked the MD421 clip the most.
That Torpedo thing gives an interesting sound, the sound is distorted but still clear.

Thanks !
The MD421 clip sounds promising but i think it still needs a little bit of tweaking to reach its maximum potential, whereas my SM57 and Condenser clips are almost ready to go (not surprising since i've already spent a lot of time in tests and tweaking with those).

Yeah the Torpedo definitely helps achieve a pro / clear sound without too much difficulties (providing you're playing is good, you have decent/suitable gear and you know your shit when it comes to tweaking of course :) ).
Also compared to a standard "real" miking (compared to the Torpedo simulation), keep in mind that the Torpedo... :

*IRs measures were done in a quite neutral room
*converters/build-quality are good if not very good
*in the torpedo miking parameters, there is "overload" parameter that simulates the speaker distortion. In my clips i put this at 20%, which is slightly distorted yet still clear
*the built-in EQ affects the tone A LOT when turned on (at least it does make a huge difference in my recent clips)
*my gear itself/the way i tweak it was aimed after a clear sound anyway

if the contour is same as on dbx compressors, it's same as low cut

http://www.dbxpro.com/1066/1066.php

# Contour switch removes unwanted low frequency information from detector circuit

Well actually the "contour" knob on the SE is more like the contour knob you can find on some Marshall amps or some wah pedals for instance :

This is the SE user manual description :

CONTOUR :

Contour shapes midrange frequencies for Main Channel 2's Lead I and Lead II modes.
When activated, Contour boosts low mids from 300 to 600 hertz as well as the frequency at 1500 hertz. Note that the Contour setting influences the functionality and range of the Mid knob (30). The LED above the button lights up to indicate is activated. This feature may also be switched via MIDI program change or the ENGL Custom Z-9 Footswitch.

A tip from the designer:
Though this voicing section is passive and its control range is therefore somewhat narrower, with Contour and Mid Edge you have two additional tools available for shaping the midrange. And for good reason music is made in the mids, and these frequencies are critical to dialing in happening lead tones. You can employ to scoop mids radically and conjure rabid heavy metal tones or boost them to elicit assertive lead sounds.

MID EDGE :

This sound-shaping tool addresses midrange frequencies by slightly lowering the Mid knob's frequency spectrum. The LED above the button lights up to indicate is activated. This feature can also be switched via MIDI program change or the ENGL Custom Z-9 Footswitch.

Atip from the designer:

Like Contour, is a passive voicing feature. Consequently, its effect on the
soundscape is rather subtle. Technically speaking, it actually re-voices the Mid knob.
Activating Mid Edge smoothes out lead tones' rough edges. Deactivating Mid Edge and Contour thins out the lead tones' midrange, creating a more brittle tone. This brand of tone is better suited for rhythm work because it is not as aggressive or overly assertive. Different combinations of Contour and Mid Edge yield four additional tonal variants in Main Channel 2, and these variations can be programmed, stored and accessed via MIDI.

-> MEANS i'm gonna try different combinations with those knobs next time :)