Tone test : ENGL SE 6L6 + Torpedo VB-101 (hardware loadbox+cab/mic/miking sim)

Djabthrash

Aug 26, 2007
Paris / Montpellier, FRANCE
Just jamming with some riffs for a tone test, trying my ENGL SE 6L6 with my new baby, the Torpedo VB-101, which is an amazing hardware loadbox+cab/mic/miking simulator.
Check www.two-notes.com and this thread http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...-101-hardware-loadbox-cab-mic-miking-sim.html for more info.

Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR (bridge : EMG 81)
-> ENGL SE 6L6 (chan. 3, hi gain mode, modern mode, noise gate on)
-> Two Notes Torpedo VB-101 :
-cab : Marshall 4x12 V30 Slash Signature
-mic : Neumann U87 (Condenser mic)
-miking : on-axis, closest miking possible (no distance between the grille & the mic, kinda touching it)
-post fx : low cut @ 80hz or so, exciter (slight boost) around 3Khz
-> M Audio Fast Track Pro
-> Cubase (only panning, no EQ, no effects except for the lead track that has a delay)

Just 2 guitars tracks, hard-panned each, same guitar but slight EQ changes on the SE between the 2.

Just plain guitars for now... i'll try those in a mix later...

By the way my playing totally sucked ass big time, don't mind the sloppiness... I hope some of you guys will recognize the songs i jammed with :

http://www.esnips.com/doc/93c11024-ac56-497b-9553-55e17deacbbb/djabth

EDIT : same setup with a touch more gain & bass on the SE, and the compressor turned off on the torpedo, in a mix context :

http://www.esnips.com/doc/26e784d6-...c-shootout_04_Marshall412V30_Condenser87wSolo

same setup than the link above but with a different cab/mic combination : ENGL 412 V30 & SM57 :

http://www.esnips.com/doc/bac07c06-...h)v7_cab-mic-shootout_06_Engl412V30_SM57wSolo

cab/speakers/mic combinations shootout thread here :

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ut-guitar-tone-mix-context-punk-rock-ish.html

I think it's an awesome tone. I'd want to hear it in a mix though. It could use a little more gain for some of those chuggy bits probably.

I didn't know the first riff. The second one I did recognise however, but I can't remember the name. Is it a Testament song?

I recognised the riff after that and I think it was a Pantera song?

I didn't recognise a lot of riffs after that. If a lot of them are Pantera...I haven't listened to much Pantera so I won't be able to call them.

Honestly sounds like a solid-state practice amp to me :erk: Kinda "small" and thin, and WOW do you need more gain if you're gonna do pinch harmonics ;)

I think it's an awesome tone. I'd want to hear it in a mix though. It could use a little more gain for some of those chuggy bits probably.

I didn't know the first riff. The second one I did recognise however, but I can't remember the name. Is it a Testament song?

I recognised the riff after that and I think it was a Pantera song?

I didn't recognise a lot of riffs after that. If a lot of them are Pantera...I haven't listened to much Pantera so I won't be able to call them.

There you go :

00"00 - 00"43 : totally me :) (album to be titled and released... someday :) )

00"43 - 00"54 : God Forbid - Living nightmare (gone forever)

00"56 - 01"18 : Pantera - The Sleep (cowboys from hell)

01"21 - 01"42 : Down - I Scream (III : over the under)

01"46 - 02"30 : Merauder - Downfall of Christ (Master Killer)

02"30 - 03"00 : Down - New Orleans is a dying whore (II : a bustle in your hedgerow)

03"00 - end : Dying Fetus - Epidemic of Hate (Destroy the opposition)

Most of the stuff i've played may have a Pantera vibe because of the guitar sound, the riffs playing played, and the Pantera influence on most of those bands as well.

Honestly sounds like a solid-state practice amp to me :erk: Kinda "small" and thin, and WOW do you need more gain if you're gonna do pinch harmonics ;)

+1

Honestly, I was waiting some sort of "drum break, then the real tone comes in" kind of a start...

+2!

a good start! but sounds really compy and kinda thin and harsh. but the engl character is definately there.

Well the "harsch" character is something very ENGL and that i like... so it is just a matter of taste...
The "solid-state"-amp sound thingie is something you guys seem to say about most ENGLs out there, except when they're dialed in such a way they sound smoother and more like 5150 and stuff (like Lekteri did for instance).
The compressed thing i kinda agree, i guess using EMG81 (compressed) + ENGL (compressed) doesn't help, even with low gain, + my M audio fast track pro (cheap audio interface) may not help. And maybe the mic i choose (U87) and its position (close-as-fuck-miked and on axis) is supposed to get a compressed sound. I'll try another combination next time (like SM57 on another cab for instance) to see if it changes something regarding the compression thingie.

About it sounding thin i guess it must be heard in a mix (even i know you guys are used to hear "mix ready" guitars being solo-ed), and actually i was going after a very sharp, bright and defined tone more than 5150 fatness.

If it still sounds undergained/thin in a mix (i'll post it here) i'll try with a tad more gain (but then i guess it's not gonna help regarding the "compressed-sounding" thing :) ), which will also help for pinch harmonics (i screwed them up while recording this tone test anyway... low gain or not :) ).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys. I'll post new stuff (real mix) later.

+1

Honestly, I was waiting some sort of "drum break, then the real tone comes in" kind of a start...

+2!

a good start! but sounds really compy and kinda thin and harsh. but the engl character is definately there.

By the way, what would you guys do to get a thicker tone ? (amp eq, amp gain, mic positioning...)

On my amp, i know i could use a tad more gain, and i turned the bass knob a lot too (maybe too much). I can still add more mids also (do you guys think there's too much mids already or not ?) ?

I'll give it another shot in the days to come, using a tad more gain +bass + mids on the amp, and see if it gets any thicker but still defined and sharp. I'll maybe also try to do something with the mic positioning in the torpedo.

I'll post it in a mix context also.

putting it in a mix would help a lot im sure. with bass, and kicks it might fill out. but since its an active (compressed) pickup, a compressed(ish) amp, and a condenser mic sim, you might wanna try a s7 or i5 sim if it has one! might help with the meat. i know how ya feel bout the sharpness/biteyness though, i love that sound too!

Actually I feel it has a touch too much mids now that kinda obscure the attack, could use more presence for more bite, and most definitely more preamp gain, and possibly more bass, but not necessarily - and as for your first response, I had a feeling you'd bust out the whole "you like 5150's so of course you won't understand/appreciate MY tones," but sorry dude, I think I'm pretty good at recognizing when a person is going for a certain style and whether or not they've nailed it (even if that style isn't one I like), and I still feel you've got a ways to go here.