My first test with DFHS Superior 2.0

not to hijack a competitor's thread but our midi is all being revamped for 2.5 (due out in month or so with a standalone player) that will remapped and programmed by real drummers and better midi programmers, smoother velocity curvers, more variations, more velocities, way better VDrum support, and more samples including NRG room samples. It'll also contain real midi files for easy import. Splat we'll send you a beta copy to test out :) Having said that, with careful midi programming, it is not hard to get realistic results like the stuff you hear on one of our dozens of demos.. But I agree with Splat that it could be easier, and it will be. Splat is a great mixer and fantastic programmer so I'm excited to see what he can do..

Back to topic...

not to hijack a competitor's thread but our midi is all being revamped for 2.5 (due out in month or so with a standalone player) that will remapped and programmed by real drummers and better midi programmers, smoother velocity curvers, more variations, more velocities, way better VDrum support, and more samples including NRG room samples. It'll also contain real midi files for easy import. Splat we'll send you a beta copy to test out :) Having said that, with careful midi programming, it is not hard to get realistic results like the stuff you hear on one of our dozens of demos.. But I agree with Splat that it could be easier, and it will be. Splat is a great mixer and fantastic programmer so I'm excited to see what he can do..

Back to topic...

Slate, first of all, thank you so much for the kind words. I hope my comments about the kontakt functionality didn't seem too negative and had nothing to do with the tone of your samples. They are fantastic indeed. My biggest complaint about programming with it was the velocity curves. For instance, I worked very hard to get the deftones snare sounding just the way I wanted in a test song I did and then I tried to go back to some of my old songs and apply the same settings. The problem was that unless the snare was at the highest velocity, I didn't have the same type of tone as the hits even just a tiny bit softer. I sounds great on the 100% all out stuff, but there's some spots in the song where I need the snare backed off just a bit. At any rate, I would be thrilled to beta test your stuff when you get around to it

No worries Splat... the issue with the Deftones snare (which is a Tama Bell Brass tuned very high with cast hoops) is that when hitting the drum as a rimshot crack (which is how Abe hits it "all out") you get a very unique sound then when hitting the center of the drum. So thats what he is referring to, as our top velocity is this rimshot crack and next is a very different sounding hit, the center hard hit. To combat this problem for our next release, we went into the deftones snare project and found rimshots that were hit softer so that we can add an extra rimshot velocity that isn't "all out" and can act as a ramp between the center hits and rimshot hits. It worked VERY WELL. There is nore more variety in the harder hits area, and it sounds very natural. Splat we'll have you test this out. Between stuff like this and the fact that our new midi programmer has REALLY tweaked the velocity curves, I think you'll be happy.

Ok now really back to topic. :)

Splat if and when you are close to being a 100% happy :kickass: with your s2.0 drum sound is it possible to share your presets/plugs with a session file like you did a few years back? This is the most realistic sound I have heard!

no....you cannot load external plug-ins into the superior effect slots. You can however route the audio to seperate tracks with superior and add whatever effects you want. Back to topic. Amazing sounding drums Splat!!! I have just barely been working with Superior 2.0 and it is great!

Splat so you can hear the drastic improvements in the DEFTONES kit in the upcoming 2.5 update (especially snare) check these three mp3s played on VDrums by Dan Kirk:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/KirkTone1.mp3

check out the snare action:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/KirkTone2.mp3

Superior 2 seems great, I honestly think with its ultra raw sounds, our collections will compliment each others..

Very nice indeed! The snare in that sample does sound immensely improved ! I can't wait to check out the update.
So the samples of the whole kit was triggered with Vdrums? That's awesome.

Also, did you mention above that the update will have its own sampler? That would be fantastic as well.

Splat so you can hear the drastic improvements in the DEFTONES kit in the upcoming 2.5 update (especially snare) check these three mp3s played on VDrums by Dan Kirk:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/KirkTone1.mp3

check out the snare action:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/KirkTone2.mp3

Superior 2 seems great, I honestly think with its ultra raw sounds, our collections will compliment each others..

Holy shit. Did I get that right, you're planning on releasing a stand-alone drum-sampler? DO ... WANT!

yeah, we'll have a standalone version and the BFD2 version coming out... both will have Vdrum support

Man, greats from chile!
I'm really impressed about the sound in the guitars from this and the others S 2.0 demos.
I've been hours trying to use your EQ presets for the guitars and i can't import fxb files at no one vst. I'll be really thankful if you upload a EQ curve from Q10 from waves, by example, or any other especific plugin, or just a vmx from cubase, etc. Maybe the EQ curves are for gearbox plugin, and i can't use it as plugin now i've pod farm.
Sorry for my english and thanks!.
Simón