Another new DFHS 2.0 test

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
I'm enjoying a couple weeks off from school and have got some time to write stuff again for a very short while, so here's another one for you guys to check out and offer suggestions or comments. Same exact setup as last time with Gearbox for guitars and POD X3 for bass.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=404561
Its the one titled "Another new DFHS 2.0 Song"

Here's the DFHS 2.0 patch. Does not include Cubase mixer and effects though

http://www.esnips.com/web/DFHSSuperior20
Its the one titled "Matt Kirigin DFHS 2.0 refined.s20"

Sweet holy something or other! Damn Matt. I'm struggling to even make myself sit down with my POD just to hash out a quick pre-production demo for my project, and you turn out stuff like this. I still think I prefer the snare in your older stuff better, but that's probably because I was always blown away with your previous works and have become accustomed to that sound. But geesh this sounds great! Maybe it's just me, but somehow the overheads sound better on this track than the previous song. Uggg...as always after listening to your work...I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged. :) Great song by the way!

This song makes me feel good inside. :)
Sweet stuffs as always Splat! You proof that Superior 2 is the best standalone drumsampler available.
Thanks for persuade me to get a copy!

Wow, thanks man! I did change the settings ever so slightly and posted the 2.0 patch up. More than anything though, I think its just getting the velocities of the cymbal hits just right so they are clear and also picking the best sounding cymbals.

Splat, your stuff sounds killer!

I attempted loading your 2.0 preset but the only drum I could hear was the kick. What might I be doing wrong? When the default set is loaded I can hear all the drums.

If you're using any other DAW than Cubase, I think you have to manually route each DFHS channel to a channel in your DAW. Cubase does this automatically. I don't think any other apps do but I could be wrong. Its a kind of a pain in the ass to do manually.

Dude the room sound is just amazing on the drums. I Can honestly picture a big ass room with the drummer in it when listening to this. Its nice when you get a visual going to the sound.

Now did you use much reverb or is that all just Superior 2.0 room mics?

The song kicks ass also!

Sounds great as always. The drums definitely sound better on this one than your previous one. I like the deeper snare sound, personally, and the toms sound huge.

I had the same problem as More Than Ever at first, but I fixed it. If your DAW doesn't automatically route everything, you just need to change all of the outs on each drum to Out 1. Same with the buses. At least that fixed my problem.

I'm enjoying a couple weeks off from school and have got some time to write stuff again for a very short while, so here's another one for you guys to check out and offer suggestions or comments. Same exact setup as last time with Gearbox for guitars and POD X3 for bass.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=404561
Its the one titled "Another new DFHS 2.0 Song"

Here's the DFHS 2.0 patch. Does not include Cubase mixer and effects though

http://www.esnips.com/web/DFHSSuperior20
Its the one titled "Matt Kirigin DFHS 2.0 refined.s20"

holy shit!

Are toontrack going to hire you soon or at least pay you for making clips like these?

Awesome stuff splatt. Sounds very nice. How much DSP did you do outside of S2.0?

Not too many different effects, but the ones I'm using make a pretty big impact on the kick and snare especially.

Kick
All 3 kick mics are routed from the snare group in DFHS 2.0 to a track in Cubase where I highpass the kick at 54hz with a steep filter and cut -6dbs at 295hz with a 1.0Q. That feeds into an L1 limiter with a 200ms release and I squash the kick just enough so it slaps just right. Then I run a Q10 EQ and use the preset called hum removal. There's a bunch of really surgical -18dbs cuts @ 100Q at 60hz, 120, 180, 240, 360, 420 and so on. Its a really great trick to use that gives the kick a much tighter sound.

Snare
All 3 snare mics are routed from the snare group in DFHS 2.0 to a track in Cubase. EQ +4dbs at 10k 1.4Q, +6dbs at 3k 2.8Q, +4 at 150hz 2.8Q then run that into a C1 compressor 5:1 20ms attack, 1ms release, set threshold to -10dbs per hit. Run that into a Gclip and set volume to taste.

No hi-hat processing in Cubase, just volume -3dbs.
No OH processing except volume -11dbs

Toms
Tom group has an EQ with a low shelf at 58hz, -8dbs then into an L1 and squash to taste.

All the room mics pretty much just have a small wide .5Q cut at 400hz to clear the boxy sound.

Lastly, I run a aux send with the kick and snare running into Cubase as its own track and it is squashed immensely with an L1 limiter and adjust volume to taste.

Hope this helps!

Dude the room sound is just amazing on the drums. I Can honestly picture a big ass room with the drummer in it when listening to this. Its nice when you get a visual going to the sound.

Now did you use much reverb or is that all just Superior 2.0 room mics?

The song kicks ass also!

Thanks! No reverb at all. Just room mics.

Hey there Matt. As usual, awsome job.

I've got a question.... Can you (or any1 else) post drum map for Superior 2... It's kinda hard to figure out everything (like snare - left or right hand etc... )

I would appreciate that so much.

Thanx.

Cheers, SkyMan

EDIT: Nevermind, I've found it on your eSnips, while I was downloading your refined patch for S 2.0. Thank you so much for this.

Hey Splatt

Sounds great! And I was wondering if I could have you program every drum part for every song I write for the rest of time for free for me? You know, so I can learn...

:lol: Totally kidding guys, I just get a chuckle out of seeing how many requests for info your getting, Burt, and how generous you are with answering them! More power to ya dude. :D