Another Superior 2.0 test

Ok here's a quick mix I did. Since everyone was going for the dry cracky snare I decided to get sassy and go for a deep and fatter snare with a nice chunk of room sound. If I have time later I can do a mix with a new dry cracky snare. Snares used are SlateCustomSnare (coming in 2.5) and Snare15. I should have asked for toms but since I didn't have them I didn't worry about them... Kick I stacked my two metal kicks, KICK5 and KICK15. I went a bit easier on the bass guitar lows since the bass was heavily limited... I also knocked out a tiny bit of 80Hz on the bass to let the kick come through. Guitars I just hipassed. I dig the kick sound, sounds metal to me.

first the guitar up mix:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/mix2.mp3

now the drum up mix:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/mix1.mp3

ok here is the cracky drier one... uses snares ToneDef and GreenSnare... kicks are same.. Kick 15 and 5:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/mix3.mp3

same snares, with a chestier kick made of ToneDef and Dream Kicks:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/mix5.mp3

Ok here's a quick mix I did. Since everyone was going for the dry cracky snare I decided to get sassy and go for a deep and fatter snare with a nice chunk of room sound. If I have time later I can do a mix with a new dry cracky snare. Snares used are SlateCustomSnare (coming in 2.5) and Snare15. I should have asked for toms but since I didn't have them I didn't worry about them... Kick I stacked my two metal kicks, KICK5 and KICK15. I went a bit easier on the bass guitar lows since the bass was heavily limited... I also knocked out a tiny bit of 80Hz on the bass to let the kick come through. Guitars I just hipassed. I dig the kick sound, sounds metal to me.

first the guitar up mix:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/mix2.mp3

now the drum up mix:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/mix1.mp3

Sounds great. Can't wait to hear the dry cracky snare one though.

if you like that cracky snare version, check it again.. I fixed it. I was accidentally triggering the original "ref kick/snare" so it was clouding up the center a bit.. now its just my samples for kick and snare (this is a drum heavy mix):

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/mix3.mp3

and the deep fat one, a bit more guitar heavy of a mix:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo2/mix2.mp3

same snares, with a chestier kick made of ToneDef and Dream Kicks:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/mix5.mp3

Ermin snare12A also worked really well, nice job, very fat sounding.

Thanks for all the work for those that contributed.

After listening, the kick I really like the best of all is the one Slate did on demo 3 mix 3. Slate, is that Kick 5 mixed with kick 15?

I like the original snare a lot better than anything I heard though. Its not an issue of quality; the Slate snares actually sound better alone, but the original snare just works better in the mix.

Thanks again you guys.

Lots of 2-3kHz 'click' in that one.

I gotta say I think the Slate snares work better in this mix than the original, but of course snares come in so many different shapes, sizes, spectrums :)P) that it's a highly subjective thing. The original sounds like more of a 'djent' snare to me, and I'd expect to hear it in 'chugga-stop-chugga' kind of stuff.

I'm glad you settled on a kick sound you like though. Thanks again for giving us a chance to play around with the stems.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you process the bass? I always have trouble processing bass guitar properly and that one was a great starting point. Even if you could just share some rough compression settings, that'd be great..

Thanks for all the work for those that contributed.

After listening, the kick I really like the best of all is the one Slate did on demo 3 mix 3. Slate, is that Kick 5 mixed with kick 15?

I like the original snare a lot better than anything I heard though. Its not an issue of quality; the Slate snares actually sound better alone, but the original snare just works better in the mix.

Thanks again you guys.

Everyone did a nice job, but IMHO I don't think anything has beat your mix 5. I wouldn't stray too far from that as it is really a nice job of everything having it's place, and the kit blends very well with the rest of the instruments.