Another new DFHS 2.0 test

:lol: Totally kidding guys, I just get a chuckle out of seeing how many requests for info your getting, Burt, and how generous you are with answering them! More power to ya dude. :D

Totally +1
I'm still struggling a bit. It sounds better than every other Drumsim already - just having trouble with the combination of the rooms. Your room-sound is perfect.

Sounds pretty good. Can you get the same sort of sound just with DFHS in box, or are those external plugins definitely neccessary to make the program sound decent? I've heard a bunch of demos of it so far, and yours are the only ones that don't sound dull - particularly the snare.

I just got my copy of S2 and your preset confuses me alot :p
I.E. you said that the kick and snare all go to out 16, the only send is the SD Top, and it's also the only one sent to bus 3, the rest of the snares are sent to out 8 & 9. Also, are there any tracks that you have muted?

Not too many different effects, but the ones I'm using make a pretty big impact on the kick and snare especially.

Kick
All 3 kick mics are routed from the snare group in DFHS 2.0 to a track in Cubase where I highpass the kick at 54hz with a steep filter and cut -6dbs at 295hz with a 1.0Q. That feeds into an L1 limiter with a 200ms release and I squash the kick just enough so it slaps just right. Then I run a Q10 EQ and use the preset called hum removal. There's a bunch of really surgical -18dbs cuts @ 100Q at 60hz, 120, 180, 240, 360, 420 and so on. Its a really great trick to use that gives the kick a much tighter sound.

Snare
All 3 snare mics are routed from the snare group in DFHS 2.0 to a track in Cubase. EQ +4dbs at 10k 1.4Q, +6dbs at 3k 2.8Q, +4 at 150hz 2.8Q then run that into a C1 compressor 5:1 20ms attack, 1ms release, set threshold to -10dbs per hit. Run that into a Gclip and set volume to taste.

No hi-hat processing in Cubase, just volume -3dbs.
No OH processing except volume -11dbs

Toms
Tom group has an EQ with a low shelf at 58hz, -8dbs then into an L1 and squash to taste.

All the room mics pretty much just have a small wide .5Q cut at 400hz to clear the boxy sound.

Lastly, I run a aux send with the kick and snare running into Cubase as its own track and it is squashed immensely with an L1 limiter and adjust volume to taste.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for those details man. Some of those EQ cuts i'd never think of at first especially those 100Q cuts, which is pretty fuckin' narrow !!!
Gonna experiment more with my drums EQ-ing...

Just got a quick question for yea. How exactly did you route the kick and snare in dfhs 2.0 to a seperate track in your daw.
I've been sitting here in logic for a good hour trying to figure this out.

EDIT:
Never mind I just figured it out......lovely manuals :)

I just got my copy of S2 and your preset confuses me alot :p
I.E. you said that the kick and snare all go to out 16, the only send is the SD Top, and it's also the only one sent to bus 3, the rest of the snares are sent to out 8 & 9. Also, are there any tracks that you have muted?

Hmmm, I'll have to take a look at that. I may have uploaded the wrong preset. If I did, I'm sure that's the only difference and everything else is fine. I'm not in town right now, but if I recall correctly, in this song I have all the snares going to a bus in Superior, but there is a aux send enabled on the Snare Top track that should be going to bus 16. I can't remember if I have the entire kick group bussed to 16 or if its just the inside kick mic. I'll try to get that preset fixed next week, but like I said, I'm sure everything else in that preset is fine.

And, no, there are no muted tracks.

Dude, you should really do a video-tutorial of Superior 2 for all of us noobs, or just put a desktop recorder on when you mix your stuff :D

Great stuff as always Splatt! :)