Mix I'm workin' on...very difficult work

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
I'm mixing this band I recorded 1 month ago...unfortunatelly everything went very bad. Broken double pedal, shitty drums, very old heads and shitty guitarists.
I used midi kick and toms becuse the original sound was very bad (kick sample is the miced kick anyway) and my own samples + slates for the snare.
Guitars....it was a nightmare. I let them record 4 rythm so that I could select the best parts to "compose" the 2 rythm guitar tracks.
Bass was recorded by the drummer (he played it for the first time and the performance was really good...way better tham the guitatists) and by me on this song.
I spent lot of time trying to improve the sound to an acceptable level so...let me know what do you think.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1436721/exp_raw.mp3

Doesnt sound bad at all. The guitars are a bit cloudy and could be a bit louder. The mix is a bit boomy, bass can come down. Less bass in the kick and more presence. Otherwise, by your description I thought it will be much worse. More a few adjustments here and there and you will have a good mix.

try getting the guitars more to the mids, wide panned guitars have to be inhumanly tight to not sound "off the track", otherwise from your description i expected much worse, the kickdrum could need some work, the splat is to "high" for my taste (my taste!), otherwise with subpar sourcematerial you are very limited with achievable quality, but its pretty ok for my ears, kudos

Thanks guys. The idea was to achieve a pretty deep sound..and I like the bass very prominent in the mix...anyway these are tastes so it's not a problem.
The good thing is that it seems pretty decent at the end, despite the quality of the source material