Mix online for review

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
I spend a ton of time on this forum just reading things, but this is the first time that I'm asking for some kind of feedback on my home-recorded mix:

www.myspace.com/7horns7eyes

I'd love some feedback...and I will answer any questions about the mix as well. Thank you all.

Haha...that's actually me singing. Thank you. There's basically a bit of reverb and delay on the vocals, slight EQing, and the harmonies are doubled, one take hard left one take hard right, to make them sound big.

Excellent stuff.

Whole package is fantastic. Good tune, good riffing, great drummer, VERY good clean vox. Props, homie. Props.

Thanks for sharing.

PS - Does anyone know what MySpace streams at?

Aaron Smith said:
Haha...that's actually me singing. Thank you. There's basically a bit of reverb and delay on the vocals, slight EQing, and the harmonies are doubled, one take hard left one take hard right, to make them sound big.

Well, it's like this: the mix is decent, pretty good, whatever, and then BAM out of nowhere these like real professional vox come in. Hella tight.

Yes, I'm not going to lie, there was pitch correction involved. The vocal tracks honestly didn't really needed it, as far as them actually sounding bad without it...but, if you want that "real professional" sound, any singer is put through a tuner. That's just what the world's ears are used to hearing these days.

unless youre daniel johns.

edit: the reason i say that is because on silverchairs last album there was a sticker on the front saying " no pitch correction " .\

edit: i chuckled when i noticed this sticker, heard the album, then chuckled no further.

this is a perfect example as to what needs a good mastering job....this can be mastered really well....lots of room

Wow! Great. I'd like it a bit more if the growls were a bit back in volume, there loud enough for me to hear them perfectly, so I can tell it's human and not Satan :D

decadawn said:
how did you record the guitars? What amp/mic ?

Here's the guitar recording chain, from guitar to tape:

Schecter Elite 006 with EMG81 in the bridge

Boss NS-2 with Maxon OD808 in the pedal's effects loop

Peavey 5150 (EVH block letter, if it matters to anyone)

Marshall JCM900 4x12 cabinet (I honestly don't know what kind of speakers are in it, but I purchased it new about 5 years ago, so I know for sure that it still has the stock speakers in it)

Electrovoice RE20, Sennheiser e609silver, and Audix i5 each on their own speaker. I know it's not all that difficult to place a mic just by sight, but I've found that for guitars, I really like hearing a mic as I place it. To accomplish this, I'll turn the 5150 down so that it's BARELY making noise (after first approving of the full volume tone when standing in front of the cabinet), have someone play the guitar through it, and then crank up a pair of headphones while soloing a mic through them. I can get right down in front of the cab, while clearly listening to the mic in my headphones, and then lock the mic into place when I've found the right spot. It's a really quick and easy process, and it REALLY helps to get the right amount of high frequencies picked up by the mic. I generally find myself boosting some of the highs a little more in Pro Tools during mixing, but the whole "headphone trick" keeps me from having to fight with any "unnatural" high frequencies that can come about if a mic is too far onto the center of the speaker. It also assures that I'm picking up enough highs in the first place...just the right amount, I don't know how else to put it. I'm sure most of you understand.

dbx231 dual channel EQ, scooping out a smooth curve centered around 350Hz, about -6db (this is on the Sennheiser and Audix)

Presonus Digimax preamp lightpiped into Pro Tools

cobhc said:
This is probably a piss poor mastering job...

I have a 56k :loco: but if I'm successful in downloading your mastering attempt tonight, I'll let you know what I think!

Dude, I like the master. Like you said, I noticed a bit of clipping here and there, and the overheads to seem to flare up a bit every so often, but overall it sounds good. All of the drums sound bigger, I like the snare sound a lot too. What I like the least really is just the mp3 qualities of the whole thing. I'll try to get a wav file up sometime if you would want to have another go at it. I have had absolutely no luck in mastering it myself, because the only limiters I have are the Waves L1 and L2, and they both completely kill the snare drum. I'm really interested in that Sonic Timeworks one that someone mentioned, but I'm running a Mac...so I still don't know what to turn to.