Please give some feedback on this mix.

MKS

May 24, 2005
http://www.mksstudios.com/wtc.mp3

Please give some feedback on this mix. This is part of a 11 song project I recorded for some friends of mine for free. It's taken forever just to get this point due to numerous problems.

I was always hesitant to post mixes here because most of the shit you guys post is really good. Please be gentle.

Here are a few initial thoughts:

-kick is too clicky
-backing vox are too loud
-bass is too low in mix (there is slight intonation problem)

Your feedback is appreciated.

Guitars sound either DI'd or too buzzy.

Kick is too clicky, but I'd bring the level up after getting rid of the click.

Tried running the bass through an auto-tune or anything? That might take care of it.

Only got headphones at the moment, but going on that I'd say this:

- the kick is too clicky for my liking, but it's not any more so than a lot of recordings I've heard recently.

- I don't think the backing vocals are too loud, but maybe you could pan them a bit to give them a bit more impact.

- the bass is really bassy, and a couple of notes almost start booming.

- I don't like the guitar tone much, it's a bit fizzy, especially as they're fading in at the start.

Overall, it sounds pretty good though - my points are more down to personal taste than mixing issues. Coincidently, I was listening to Celtic Frost's new album before I put this song on, and this mix (the guitar tone and drum sound especially) is quite similar to my (admittedly tired) ears :loco:

Steve

The kick is basically what a lot of recording sound like lately, i dont like it, it sounds too drum machine-ish. the vocal levels are good, i may take all the vox down just a few dB but thats me. the guitar tone is really scratchy/noisy maybe too much pre gain. overall its not that bad cool song

Id take the ring out of the snare. It has a nice snap, but the "donk" is a bit annoying. Ditto about the kick and guitars. Mybee try to lowpass the guitars at like 10/12K Hz, and give them a slight boost at 1-2K Hz for some bite.

Very cool track. Probably the coolest "metal" I've heard in a while (despite sounding very old-school).

I don't think the kick is too clicky, but there are timing issues all over the song. The drums sound a bit "untogether". If you have more of the original drumsounds (guessing you triggered parts of the drums) I'd put them louder for more room and cohesiveness.

Another trick I learned from Jeff "Critter" Newell: put 2 mics in your control room and record the drumtrack from your speakers again to a stereotrack - the mics being far away from the speakers. That way you get a "faux-room-sound" which you can sneak into the mix for more (as he puts it) "unruliness". I've done it once and I like it a lot, especially on replaced/programmed drums.

Guitars could use more midrange and less highs - I agree with everyone else there.

Now I am gonna listen to the track again. What band is that? I dig the Deicide-ish vocals in the chorus.

Super guys. Thanks for all the feeback.

I'm going to run the bass through melodyne today and hope for the best.

I recorded the guitars dry so I could reamp later. My goal was to reamp through a live amp but since I had to move away from most of our live gear for awhile. I ended up using Guitar Rig 2 and a POD XTL. I'll try to experiment with some other tones and see what happens.

Can you guys suggest any patches I should use for this type of music? I think I used Chunky (Guitar Right) and Diabolic (Guitar Left).

The kick is the sneap kick. I'll try some difference EQ's.

Thanks again.

smy1 said:
What band is that? I dig the Deicide-ish vocals in the chorus.

The band is "Fools Crown".

http://www.foolscrown.com

They are old school because they are old. :lol:

I've known the lead guitarist for years. She's an awesome player and was in one of my favorite bands of 90's (Ouchcube).

MKS said:
http://www.mksstudios.com/wtc.mp3

Please give some feedback on this mix. This is part of a 11 song project I recorded for some friends of mine for free. It's taken forever just to get this point due to numerous problems.

I was always hesitant to post mixes here because most of the shit you guys post is really good. Please be gentle.

Here are a few initial thoughts:

-kick is too clicky
-backing vox are too loud
-bass is too low in mix (there is slight intonation problem)

Your feedback is appreciated.

Dude, I'm digging this. I like the backing vocals just where they are. Shit...other than the fizziness in the guitar tone, this is kick ass!

All i would chance is that "donk" in the snare, like someone mentioned before, and the guitars could be a little less fizzy, but im loving that kick!

yeah id say less fizz in the guitars,
and get rid of the st anger in the snare!
great mix though!

I like alot of it, I would back down the lead vox a couple of db and maybe dirty them up a little.
I dig the ultra fizzy fake sounding guitars for the track, very tight

I don't like the snare at all. "Donk" was a good adjective

Still listening to the track every now and then. The website of the band looks cool, too!

And you gotta love a pic like this:
Laura2.jpg

Cool track.

Played for few minutes with Winamp's eq - for me it sounds more "open" with following adjustments:
3k -1,6
6k +8,6
12k +11,7
14k +8,6
16k +5,4