Clip for feedback

daver

Dec 19, 2003
Bristol
Hi all,

Here's my first 'attempt' at recording some stuff. Doing some recordings for friends of mine, a girl band called gripshift (http://www.gripshift.co.uk/), in my home setup.

This isn't finished yet, some more bits still to be recorded / editied, but would like feedback on how it's shaping up so far in terms of sounds / mix levels, what I can do to improve it etc

http://www.osmium.demon.co.uk/mp3/ThisIsMe.mp3

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Dave

Actually sounds really great. Good job so far. If you are recording digital (PC/Mac) I would say clean up the guitar tracks as I heard some amp noise in a few spaces where the guitars weren't playing. Also, if you have the hi-hats from the drums on a track of their own, I would suggest panning the hi-hats to the left or right, it will clean up the center for the vocals and other things as well. I'm not sure if this is how the band wants it to sound, but it sounds like the mix and everything fits the music perfectly. Good job again and I love the sound of those toms at the end. Cheers.

~006

006 said:
Actually sounds really great. Good job so far. If you are recording digital (PC/Mac) I would say clean up the guitar tracks as I heard some amp noise in a few spaces where the guitars weren't playing. Also, if you have the hi-hats from the drums on a track of their own, I would suggest panning the hi-hats to the left or right, it will clean up the center for the vocals and other things as well. I'm not sure if this is how the band wants it to sound, but it sounds like the mix and everything fits the music perfectly. Good job again and I love the sound of those toms at the end. Cheers.

~006

Thanks for the input, glad to be finally getting somewhere after struggling for some time! Yeah, need to tidy the guitar tracks, and indeed I do have a seperate hats track, will have a listen to it panned as you suggested. The band are fairly new to this, so have left it my hands for the sound, thought the overall sound suited them quite well.

FYI, it's done on pc based digi 002 setup in spare room at home, with drums etc done in another room in the house, so quite a diy job!

What guitar amp was used? It sounds a little too clean to me. The band would sound better with a 'dirtier' guitar sound.

They still sound good enough for me to get them booked at the venue I work at though!!

...Okay - here are random thoughts while listening...

hmm...well, I think it sounds pretty good. Something about the guitars doesnt' sound as big as it should be, you know? Maybe they're not loud enough?

maybe the vocals are a little too dry? Maybe an exciter or something?

wow - that was a really long note in the middle that singer just belted out!

the snare drum sounds a little far away for some reason... how was it mic'd? (unless you're giong for that sort of sound..)

overall it sounds good...the toms sound pretty good as well..btw - it almost sounds like all the cymbols are coming down the center...is that the case?

also - so what mics did you use for everything?

I tried a couple of things with guitars, I'm constrained with volumes with this being a home setup, so to suit the flexibility for recording I went with PodXTPro, recorded 2 tracks, panned hard left and right. Recored dry signal too, which was lucky as the original guitar sounds, whilst ok standalone, totally got lost in mix, so have re-amp'd with different settings.

I realise compromises have had to be made as the band are putting together 9 songs, so we've had to try and get the best we have in the time available, so regarding the guitars, what do you mean by 'dirtier', any tones/styles in mind?

Agree about snare comments, still not happy with the sound, will try to get it a little 'snappier'. The snare was mic'd top and bottom with sm57s. As for rest of the kit, I did my best with the AKG mics I have, need to upgrade my mic collection when budget allows! Oh yeah, kick is replaced by sample I ripped off a cd.

Haven't done anything with vocals except a bit of compression on way in and touch of reverb, so i'll have a play with an exciter if I can find a cheap (or preferably free / trial one) plugin, any recommendations?

Lastly, thanks for the input on this, I've been really struggling for some time trying to get the sounds I want when i've done earlier work/demos/play abouts, finally feel like I'm beginning to see the woods through the trees!

Razorjack, which venue do you work at, band is currently booking quite a few dates, also are shooting a video soon, and have got a good contact at kerrang who will (apparently!) review this release when finished, so things looking up for the band!

Laters,

Dave

I work for the Imperial College RockSoc, the president confirmed a booking with the band yesterday for (I think) the 7th of May. They're playing with Liquid Sky (my mates band) and a band called Bate's Motel.

You should get them to convince their contact at Kerrang to come along to the gig (it's in South Kensington, London).

Razorjack said:
I work for the Imperial College RockSoc, the president confirmed a booking with the band yesterday for (I think) the 7th of May. They're playing with Liquid Sky (my mates band) and a band called Bate's Motel.

You should get them to convince their contact at Kerrang to come along to the gig (it's in South Kensington, London).

Ah, yeah, knew about this, small world etc! I also manage the band Fourwaykill and have heard Liquid Sky through my dealings with Vince from Bloodstock, i'll come along to this gig then to say hi! Will pass on the details to kerrang and see if we can get a reviewer there!

Dave,
Im coming to stay at your soon, you want another set of ears on these mixes whilst im down, bring you some toys, show you some things or just get a fresh perspective on em. Worried yet....You do know me Ive sold J about 4 amp heads by now!!!

elmuchoescadawg said:
Dave,
Im coming to stay at your soon, you want another set of ears on these mixes whilst i'm down, bring you some toys, show you some things or just get a fresh perspective on em. Worried yet....You do know me Ive sold J about 4 amp heads by now!!!

Nice one mate, going to start recording some stuff for my band in the next month or so when I've finished this project, so would be good to get together before then. Yeah, I've claimed the 5150 mk1 for my use now!

Dont blame you he was nickin your triple XXX for long enough. I might be at the show on sunday but not to sure as yet. Ill let you know if I am and bring some stuff down