Mix practice: Thrash metal song w/ heavy female vocals

@ drope934 - What format do you need the tempo track to be in? I am happy to see if I can put something together for you, but I am unfamiliar with studio one, so more info will help me out a lot.

@ mago - After giving your mix another listen I can now see what you're talking about with the snare. I think a little more low end/body might help out the snare tone as well? Also, I think the ride may be a little too loud. All things considered though, it is a very nice mix and I would love to hear more, if you find the time to work on it. What did you end up using for the guitars? The tone is pretty killer!

*sigh*...

Why? Why do people persist on having female vocals in metal? They don't belong!

/rant

Yeah and then you probably go and listen to shitty core with wimpy vocalists with cheek piecings, v-necks and a bigger vagina than that.

On topic though: this mix is really fun, especially with real overheads. Not sure I'm 100% happy with it yet though.

@eyes of wrath: I just can't find the compatible format in the Manual :loco: I know that it can be imported from a midi file but I don't know if it supports another format (strange, because it's a recent program)

I agree, it's strange that they don't give an option to write the tempo track from the midi file when you import it.

Maybe you are overlooking something? Because the tempo is definitely there. Logic doesn't import the tempo from a midi file into a project either, it's a little of a work-around in Logic, one of the cons in the DAW. Tempo in my tempo list looks like this :

1.1 = 95 BPM
9.3. = 230.004 BPM
206.2 = 102 BPM
210.2 = 230.004 BPM

Hope that helps.
Guitar DI's are better now, it was chaos at first. The Guitar 4 DI still has some weird glitches about 3/4 into the song, but that wasn't to hard to fix. Mix is coming up soon!

Steve,

She's quite the vocalist :)

I would definitely edit those drums a bit tighter overall. It will get the whole mix sounding better.

More bass would be nice, too.

Greg

Greg, I agree with your statement regaurding the lack of bass. The mix I put up was just something I put together very quickly and is nowhere close to finished. After reason the comments, I think I may revisit the drum tracks and tighten them a bit. I'm glad you like the singer though
I think she is a huge step in the right direction for us.

Update: I tried to fix up guitar DI 4 a little more, it should fit in a little better now. New drums coming soon. It appears that the file I included may have been the pre edited version. I will find the correct file and update the the drums I get a chance.

There was no vocal track in the files I downloaded, but did a mix of it anyway :D

My version:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up on the vocals. I have been having bad luck with my zipping software lately, but it is fixed now.

Thanks for the tracks. Very nice song! And very good for me for mixing practise.

Very quick mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/Blood_Driven_QuickMix.mp3

I didn't use all tracks yet, because I feel like fooling around with some re-amping with these tracks. Also practise. :D

*edit*

And a re-amp mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/Blood_Driven_QuickReAmpMixV2.mp3

Re-amped the guitars and bass guitar cause it's fun to play with other sounds and practise. I hope it's not too bad. I have a bit of trouble with the bass guitar on some muted chord parts.

Still not all tracks hehe. I dig the other mixes too, it's cool to hear different style's of mixing. Mago's drums are nice.

Here's what I got so far.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21368033/mastershit.wav

It's a really weird set of takes . I had to edit a bunch of stuff just to make it sound passable. Lots of stuff is out of time and the bass just disappears into nowhere despite enough compression to crush the terminator and then reappears like an annoying girlfriend.

I might just re record the bass myself. At least the drums sound ok, although I had to fix loads of the track as it was out of time.

Edit: Didn't really pay attention, if you wanted a more natural feel then fair enough. Vocals are too quiet and washy in my mix upon further listening.

Maybe you are overlooking something? Because the tempo is definitely there. Logic doesn't import the tempo from a midi file into a project either, it's a little of a work-around in Logic, one of the cons in the DAW. Tempo in my tempo list looks like this :

1.1 = 95 BPM
9.3. = 230.004 BPM
206.2 = 102 BPM
210.2 = 230.004 BPM

Hope that helps.
Guitar DI's are better now, it was chaos at first. The Guitar 4 DI still has some weird glitches about 3/4 into the song, but that wasn't to hard to fix. Mix is coming up soon!

Are you sure you didnt miss a tempo between 9.3 and 206.2. As this section doesnt sit well for me. seems to change tempos.