Mix Templates in ProTools 7.x?

colynomial

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
wearetulip.com
Anyone know how to do the following in M-Powered or LE (I assume the same)?

I'm mixing 12 songs and I want to apply the same settings (plug-ins/levels) to each track. I feel like in HD (if memory serves) you can actually import session data to existing tracks. In M-Powered the only option I see is import to "New Track".

As it stands now I'm thinking I should just dump the audio files out of the my original mix session and import the new audio files to the region list and drop them into the pre-existing tracks. I know a lot of guys just do all their mixing in one session file but I fear this will probably overload my processing power as I need to run a bunch of different virtual instruments and software synths within each song.

So like I said, the only way to do this is to dump the audio files out of the original mix session, save it as my "Template", then open it back up and load in the new audio files? Then I have to import and realign all the audio files within the new session?

What I'd really like to do is this:

Song 1 has it's own session file and has, say, 12 tracks of raw drums. I mix the drums my liking and want them to sound consistent for the rest of the album. I open up the session file for Song 2 and import all the information pertaining to drum tracks from Song 1 right on to the existing raw drum tracks in Song 2's session file. I would also like to do this for guitars, bass, etc.

Is it possible that this is just one more crippling feature of M-Powered/LE? Because I seem to recall you can import session data right on to existing tracks in HD...

Why don't you make good use of the tempo map and load them all up in one session? If you're worried about processing power you can drag them all into one track. For example, all 'gtr left's go into 'gtr left'. I seem to have no problem doing this.

What I do is:
In the first song, i duplicate the tracks without the audio files
Then import these tracks without the audios in a session i called "mix"
Open the next song to mix and import the session data to this session
Move the audio files to the new tracks
Done.

If i didnt make myself clear i could explain again!!!

You could always do all of your mixing by bussing thru aux inputs then just import them all into each song session? I've done it. I hate it. But it works.

import session data is what you want, unfortunately LE/M is super crippled in that dept. HD alows you to copy over plugin ins and stuff.

To create a template:

setup a session the way you want, save it and close it. Right click, get info (mac) click the box that says stationary pad. Go back into pro tools and cmd+O. open the session and it will prompt you to edit stationary, or creat a new session. Create a new session based on the session.

Then all you'd have to do is import your audio files into it.

Yea I think the way most of you are explaining it is how I intend to do it. Turns out it's true that HD allows you to import session right to tracks then eh but M/LE is crippled in that respect.

The reason why I can't mix all in one session is because I have a TON different VIs I want to use. So for instance, one song has say like harp, some software synths, and tuba and then the next has strings, oboe and clarinet (making it up). Thus I will end up with a million tracks of song specific instruments if they're all in one session file which will max out my PT track limit and also really bog down the total session with MIDI info and samples loaded into RAM.

Thanks everyone.

What I usually do is make individual ptfs for each song. So sessions of the session. That way you don't have to worry about any automation you have written, vi's, or song specific tracks.