Protools Template help....

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Ok for the most part Ive been tracking demo's (4-5 songs or less) in one session. This keeps it simple to use the same settings and such. Now I have a few full length albums coming up and I want to record each song in a separate session to keep it clean. Ive done this before and used a template but I had to impost the template and then slide all the audio files to the tracks that were imported from the template. Is this the only way or is there a way to import a template and your audio files will end up on the right tracks to begin with?

I posted a couple months ago asking roughly the same thing and sadly, I think the only way to do it is the way you described. :(

In HD when you go to import session data you can choose to import settings to existing tracks. Digidesign pwns us LE/M-Powered users again...

What I did for my last project was track each session separately, choose one to mix, after getting a decent mix/template dump all the audio and "Save As -> Template" or whatever, then go into the other sessions, consolidate all the files to the beginning of the session or at least some obvious time reference, delete all tracks (except those that are unique to that song), import all the session data to new tracks from the template file and drag the audio in from the region list. This way you at least preserve the tempo map and any tracks that are session exclusive. Then you just drag the audio into the matching tracks. I think this is what you've described that you do though haha...

Thanks guys!

What else sucks is if you import template and the song you were mixing had automation and you save that song with automation as a template, then the template has automation on it. So you have to delete all the automation as well. Well thats what i have had to do in the past. :Smug:

Hahaha... Exactly.

It's ridiculous because you just know "Import Session Data" to an existing track is something they've "switched off" in the coding of LE/M-Powered. It should really be an upgrade feature of the Music Production Toolkit. Digidesign hates us...