Cubase 5 - Can't save session templates

Must just be arse W7 64-bit support, as you mentioned. I've had more crashes than I can remember in the last month alone.

Starting to really consider flipping over to Reaper or Studio One again, though I wish the latter were a bit more fleshed out.

I haven't had any crashes at all, actually Cubase 5 (apart from this preset/track/template saving issue) has been awesome for me. But I've never had many problems with my DAW's crashing.

I just got this on the Steinberg Users forum from a US Steinberg support guy:

Hello,

First, please shut down Cubase 5.
Then go to the Start menu, All Programs, Cubase 5 and go inside the Cubase Application Data Folder.

In the top address bar, you should see “App Data (roaming) Steinberg”
Click on Steinberg at the top.
This will put you in the Steinberg app data folder.

Trash all of the folders that you see in the application data folder.
This will trash your key commands, preferences, sound card settings, etc.
It also should clear up the problem that you are having.

Restart Cubase.

You will need to reset your audio outputs (Devices, Device Setup, VST Audio System).

Next open Cubase 5 and open up the Mediabay and right click on the VST sound folder and click "rescan".

Also inside Cubase 5 go to Help and About Cubase and tell me which version and build number it says you are running there.

Thank you.

What he is telling me to do is trash the preferences (like I told you), but maybe I missed something along the way, so I'll look again tonight. Perhaps the path he gave me is different than the original User>appdata>local>roaming or whatever path I wrote about above. I think they are pointing to the same folder, though, so who knows.

Hopefully he may be able to help my issue which may help yours since he did ask for my build number and all that.

Hey Ermin, sorry got back a bit late to this one dude. Yeh windows has basically got two areas for application data (sorry if im teaching u to "suck eggs") - the old local where profile settings for all computer users are stored and the other, where specific user settings are stored. What i'd briefly try doing before fucking around is making a seperate user account, log into it and see if it still gives you the problem.

Cool stuff. Good luck. Interesting thing here is that directory is in a totally different place for me:

C:WindowsSysWOW64configsystemprofileAppDataRoamingSteinbergCubase 5

If you follow the directions in the quote I posted from the Steinberg dude, do you see 3 folders? I did, which I didn't see when I trashed the preferences the other way (I posted that earlier).

I trashed THOSE 3 folders and restarted...So far, everything seems to work, but I didn't get a chance to really dig in on the presets.

I remember one of the folders said "track presets" as the folder name.

Unfortunately that didn't work for me, nwright.

Fortunately what did was Kev's suggestion. Setting up a new User Account and trying Cubase there let me save templates.

Unfortunately yet again I couldn't get my main Administrator account to mimic this. For some reason it seems to insist on saving everything to this folder: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\R oaming\Steinberg\Cubase 5

No matter what I trash I still get the same issue on my main Administrator account. Any insight on this odd situation?