Flamming PC! Please help- Onyx 400F and Cubase

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Over the last month I've been working at a snails pace on my bands album, so this weekend I wanted to move shit along since the ball was back in my court (recording guitars). Almost all songs done, all good. Then I take a phone call, return to the editing, hit play.......and nothing. The display works, but no sound.

Restart PC, restart 400F, reopen Cubase (5 BTW). Still no sound. It comes up with a table instead showing that all my in and outputs are not connected and missing. Close Cubase, open Winamp, it plays fine.
I keep winamp open and open Cubase, but same again, no sound there (doing this will usually tell me that "another program is using the device, sound may not work, bla, bla. Not this time).

I've checked VST connections, removed and re-added the busses, but it's not recognising the 400F.

Again, all other sound works, it's just Cubase that doesn't seem to want to recognise the 400F.

Has anyone had this happen?

Oh, also worth mentioning, when it fisrt went silent and I closed Cubase, it gave me one of those "send error report" windows. Did Cubase crash and corrupt some drivers?

Fuck I hate computer problems. Any lifelines thrown here would be eternally appreciated guys!

Cheers and beers!

Yeah, I've had some issues with the drivers on my 400F too occasionally; try uninstalling all your current drivers and check out the downloads section on the Mackie website to download the v1.05 drivers, that's what I did and it seems to have made things more stable!

Oh, great. Gotta love a simple fix that puts you out a day. Fucking Cubase just needed the driver selected again. When it crashed it defulted to "no driver".
Of all the things I checked yesterday, that was the first I checked this morning and it fixed it.

I'm glad to hear the drivers sorted some of your whoes Marcus. Unfortunately I did that on the first day I got the 400F and I still have some hickups with it. The scenario I had yesterday is not uncommon, but usually I restart the 400F and Cubase and it's all fine again.
Luckily it's not happened during recording, only editing, though yesterday I had more recording to do after the editing. At least I know what to check from now on.

Was gonna say to check the driver but you already did.

I never did like cubase selecting a default driver. Sometimes it goes to my onboard sound, the sound from my video card, or from my motu. Kind of annoying.