Cubase help please

MT01

Oct 4, 2008
London, England
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Cubase SX3 who is trying to use Guitar Rig 3 in Cubase to initially play riffs over the top of some WAV drum loops that I have, then on to recording them.

With Cubase fresh "out of the box" I've been importing the drum loops as audio tracks which played successfully. I believe Cubase had been using the ASIO Multimedia driver that it tested when I used it the first time.

Now in order to use Guitar Rig 3, for it to pick up my guitar on the line in of my Audigy Platinum Ex, I need to select the Creative Emu10Kx Asio (as I always do when using Guitar Rig in standalone mode). I have then set in Cubase via "VST Connections Input" the L&R Line in of my soundcard to be the inputs and Wave/Mp3 to be the outputs. Then using "Device Setup" - "VST System Link" I have set the ASIO inputs and Outputs to be the soundcard's line in and wave/mp3 respectively.

If I add an audio channel and set it to be Guitar Rig, then monitor that channel then I hear Guitar Rig fine. The problem is that I can no longer hear the Drum Loop samples in the other audio track and strangley the metronome click is no longer audible.

Could anyone advise how I can fix this?

Update: Having restarted Cubase the drum wav plays, however the beginning of the sample only starts to be audible about 3/4 of the way through the event, with approx 3 second delay and also the metronome click only begins after 2.5 bars.

This is really frustrating. o_O

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ihsahn1981,

I've got Cubase set to a 2.000ms output latency and it's showing a 4.083ms on the input latency.

I've tried increasing the latency setting to say 20ms but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm not sure where I'd locate the sample buffer unless it's also referred to as the ASIO buffer latency?

Please see images below:

Well, for those interested, after many hours trawling on the net it turns out this is a known issue:

Audio timing problem confirmation

Hello all,

There already were some topics here dealing with audio timing issues. Some may believe we would ignore such things, this is not true !
I have to confirm a problem which applies to all current SL 3 / SX 3 versions:

Audio hardware/ASIO drivers working with different latency values for the inputs and outputs are the source of a problem in the current versions. If you use such a device you will notice an uncommon offset of your recorded audio material. This offset has a fixed value, depending of the choosen latency settings for your ASIO driver. To check if you are possibly affected by this just go to >Devices >Device Setup >VST Audiobay. If you see different values for Input / Putput latency then you have to deal with an offset when doing audio recordings.

We have confirmed this problem with Yamaha´s 01x, also with USB interfaces such like the MI|4.

We are currently investigating the real source of this issue.

I will put this also in the Info Base.

Please also note that ASIO drivers providing the same input/output latency are not affected, also all versions before SL 3 / SX 3 do not have this issue !

So it looks like Creative and Cubase share the blame on this one!

Anyhow I've downgraded to SX 2 and all seems to be working fine so far. :kickass: