PC vs Mac / ProTools vs Cubase quality an issue?

Humidfume

Hey guys, whats up?

I'm studying at university and really starting to dislike it, I record, mix and master everything at my house on a PC and using Cubase.

I'm sick of these uni kids spouting that PC's suck and Mac own's them etc, that ProTools is the best because it's industry standard and people should be laughed at for using Cubase etc.

It's an immature, opinionated cesspit of bullshit to me...

So while I'm still pretty firm in my thoughts of knowledge and experience will always prevail over less knowledge and experience on better hardware (within reason), is there really any truth in this?

I personally dig my outcomes etc and my mixes, I feel like they are at the level they are at because of me, not my hardware. I feel like, my lack of practice and knowledge is getting me my average sounding recordings (I like them because I've only just started doing home recordings etc), not the fact that I'm using a PC and Cubase.

So really, guys.. if you have Andy on a Mac and PT and Andy on a PC with Cubase (if he was at the same level on both types of hardware / software) would there really be that much of a difference?

Is the fact I'm using a PC with Cubase really going to stop me from getting professional sounding recordings from my house? (Don't say, no your mic's etc are, I'm aware of this, but imagine that I have all of the gear available, and only focus on the PC / MAc and PT vs Cubase equation / question).

So yeah, I appologise if this has been covered to death, I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything (note the word quick!).

I don't need long answers etc (very welcome to go in depth about it though), I just was after a quick yes and this is why or no it's bullshit.

many thanks guys!

Joe

So really, guys.. if you have Andy on a Mac and PT and Andy on a PC with Cubase (if he was at the same level on both types of hardware / software) would there really be that much of a difference?

I don't need long answers etc (very welcome to go in depth about it though), I just was after a quick yes and this is why or no it's bullshit.

Joe

No!

Workflow is the only difference and maybe your choice of plugins. In terms of sonic differences purely in the daw? practically none.

Joe

Yup, every DAW 'sounds' the same. You couldn't ever say 'that mix sounds better because it was done on ProTools'. But every DAW has positives and negatives, its up to you to choose the one that suits you best.

However, that said, James Murphy has said a number of times that ProTools is THE industry standard, and that a lot of times ProTools project files are swapped around instead of bothering to bounce all the .wav's and do tempo maps and all that.

DAW is just a tool on your disposal to achieve a certain goal.
tools can be different but in hands of a skilled and experienced worker any tools will do.

theory behind the mixing and mastering is the same regardless of DAW.
some people will tell you that a certain DAW gets their creativity going, which is true. but it's all up to personal choices and habits.

other side of the story is the term "industry standard"... but might not hear this term for some time.

doesn't matter.
whatever you feel is best and allows you to be most creative.
(il)Logic and Cubendo drive me up the wall personally but some people get loads done with it.
More power to em. I couldn't care less.
For what I do i couldn't stand using anything but Pro Tools. I've been using it so long now; trying to do anything in another program is Infuriating; The key commands and work flow are burned into my brain; i'm getting there with logic, but the audio editing is a nightmare to a Pro tools vet!

I see, this is excellent news to me, I can fly around cubase I've been using it so long, the idea of havig to learn Pro-Tools and buy a mac was infuriating from a finacial point of view.

So thanks guys that's a fantastic end to the thread right there, You guys basically just confirmed my thoughts so thanks very much :D

See you all on the flip-side!

Joe

s'all about the work flow bro

if your working on shit for yourself
cubase will do perfectly fine

but if you have clients and you need to speed up the process
and need a certain workflow

thats what pro tools is great for

Sadly, it's not just all about the workflow: Being able to at least handle PT sessions will give you advantages on the business side of things. You're more likely to get hired (especially by labels), if you have some sort of Pro Tools system at your disposal, even if you just use it to import and export sessions while doing the 'actual' work at the platform you prefer.

No. The source and how you capture it is a million times more important than the software you're using...

This Is one of the most important things EVER in Engineering, takes a while to get there; and we're all constantly learning, knowing what will and won't work when it comes to the mix.
But the importance of Sound at Source cannot be stressed enough.