Pro Tools 10 fucking mega bug!!!

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Well, I worked for hours on a big session, mixing and programming some MIDI stuff. Always command S to save my shit + automatic save all 5 minutes. All was really good honestly and bam Pro Tools fucked up when I opened a MIDI window. No communication with Digi003. So I restart, I reopened my session and this message (translated) "some clips have no valid limits they will be deleted blah blah". Then I saw my session like it was a few days ago!!!!!!!!!! All my fucking work deleted! I tried the latest back up session and this is not what I did on the last 5 minutes but yesterday evening! Pro Shit has deleted almost all my tracks but the MIDI I did just before it bugged is ok????

Anybody had the same experience? Is there a solution to get back my work? Fuck I just want to throw my foot into this damn computer! :devil:

First off, let me just say I'm sorry cause that sounds fucking brutal!

Now I'm gonna get a little dick-ish but I promise it's only me trying to help.

What you're saying happened, can't, or at worst is very very very unlikely. Protools can fuck up and not read session or corrupt sessions, but the data is never "deleted".

Here's some really basic things to try, and please try them don't just read em and assume you have.

1. Go into your session backups folder, sort by date modified. Go to the latest, then the next most recent, then the next one. They should be five minutes apart.

2. IF all three are showing data from yesterday, but the date modified says today, then you're fucked and I have no idea how that's possible. Is it possible some disk allocation got fucked up and you have a duplicate session on another drive?

I'd also go ahead and do the normal stuff like: repair disk permissions, delete digi prefs and all that jazz.

If it's really fucked, send me screen shots of your session/ the back up folder, the date modifies, and include the audio files folder and the wave cache file.

No offence, but it sounds like user error more then PT deleting all your work.

Having said that, It COULD be PT.

What you're saying happened, can't, or at worst is very very very unlikely. Protools can fuck up and not read session or corrupt sessions, but the data is never "deleted".

Here's some really basic things to try, and please try them don't just read em and assume you have.

1. Go into your session backups folder, sort by date modified. Go to the latest, then the next most recent, then the next one. They should be five minutes apart.

2. IF all three are showing data from yesterday, but the date modified says today, then you're fucked and I have no idea how that's possible. Is it possible some disk allocation got fucked up and you have a duplicate session on another drive?

I'd also go ahead and do the normal stuff like: repair disk permissions, delete digi prefs and all that jazz.

If it's really fucked, send me screen shots of your session/ the back up folder, the date modifies, and include the audio files folder and the wave cache file.

As a Pro Tools instructor, I'm not sure there's really much I could add to this that CFH hasn't already said.

Pro Tools is a very complex program and there are a lot of ways to accidentally mess up a session, but it's nearly always recoverable/reversible.

Check your session backups folder and make sure you are opening up the session with the most recent "date modified" stamp, which should be today.

If the MIDI you did is intact, Pro Tools didn't just revert the session back a full day, otherwise the MIDI would be gone.

Check the "disk allocation" settings and make sure all of your audio is being saved to the proper place.

You can also search your system to see if your newer session files got saved anywhere else on the computer (an accidental "save as" or drag-and-drop could cause this).

If it absolutely, positively WAS Pro Tools somehow, contact Avid tech support and work with them to exhaust any other possible fixes AND so it doesn't happen to somebody else (or to you again in the future).

....I had this same thing actually happen.....I have session backup on for every five min.....and I save pretty religiously. I had 6 hours of work go away with the same kind of bug I traced it out to a bad firewire cable. It was with the 003 and I was using the midi window with Battery alot.....I know in my situation it was my cable because if I plug it in to a harddrive, it takes the whole computer into "folder question mark mode".

....I had this same thing actually happen.....I have session backup on for every five min.....and I save pretty religiously. I had 6 hours of work go away with the same kind of bug I traced it out to a bad firewire cable. It was with the 003 and I was using the midi window with Battery alot.....I know in my situation it was my cable because if I plug it in to a harddrive, it takes the whole computer into "folder question mark mode".

hahahaha yeah that's pretty bad.

Cubase has a crappy problem too. Sometimes it records on the HD 0kb or 1kb Wav files. Then it won't open the project, telling that is fkin corrupted. Just delete those files and 'voila! Project opens again.
(found this after almost killing myself, 'lost' entire disc drum sessions)

Sometimes happens that the last backup session is damaged, but usually the session before is ok. It usually happens when there are an hard disk that turns off during the savings or something else and the disk allocation goes bad.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Thanks for the advices. I always do back ups on another hard drive but not this time coz.. I'm just stupid! Anyway, the bug already happened once a while ago and it seems to be caused by combination of CPU overload + MIDI programming. But this last time I just checked the automatic backup session and all was ok.

Now the strange thing is that in the 'current' session, every audio files are gone and only a few tracks (with processing and stuff) are still there. And on the last auto backup session, all is ok but as it was the day before.

So I did deleted digi prefs, etc. and tried to recreate my session with these data from here and there with "import session data" and the message again 'some clips have unvalid limits'.

BTW didn't find the very last save I did when PT crashed. I have to check disk allocation too.

Yeah it's strange to have some of the work gone and some other not :confused:

Thanks again to ya'll, I let you informed..

EDIT: On the mac, should I "repair disk permissions"?

+1.
Once upon a time I was working in PT and an idiot unplug the session hd plug...PT gave me immediately an error and I couldn't find anymore a whole project.
It happened that PT, when the hd shut down, started writing that session in the other HD.

I work on a iMac and I have only one hard drive (system) an I make my backups on a external device. Maybe I should install another disk inside the mac to stock audio files? Thinking about that, I don't believe it's very good to work with the system HD only... I used to work on a PC and yeah I had the system HD + other intern HD for my work.