Pro Tools regions list overflow bug?

Jul 20, 2009
www.myspace.com
Hi! I'm new to PT and noticed a strange thing. When I do lot's of cuts (via seperate region command) it is actualy normal that with my every cut the amount of regions in the regions list increases. But there is something more going on and I can't get it. A simple scenerio:
I record drums multitrack with 12 tracks or so, then I record bass, gtrs, vox. Now I consolidate all of my tracks. I select all UNUSED regions and choose to DELETE them PERMANENTLY FROM THE HARD DRIVE. Ok everything is fine and I have only my needed and used in the session regions shown in the list. Now, say I begin to edit bass. I perform a seperate region somewhere on a single track and what's happening? I have drum regions (bd, sn. toms), some vox and gtrs regions appearing in the regions list again! What are these regions? They are not used in a session any more and I have already deleted all of them in a previous step! And with every next seperate region command a get more and more of these strange unused regions. Every cut on a single track gets about 20-30 of these new regions at a time and the regions list become SO HUGE in a few minutes that my G5 needs 5 minutes or so to make a new cut. And I need to select all unused regions and remove them again and again every time after seperate region command. BTW DELETE regions from hard drive is no longer avaliable for these strange appearing regions.

Yes. When I seperate a track called Bass_DI I should get two more regions in the region list: Bass_DI01 and Bass_DI02 or smth similar. But Why do I get 20 or 30 regions of drums gtrs and vocals also? They are not used in the session and have been permanently deleted from the drive.

I select all UNUSED regions and choose to DELETE them PERMANENTLY FROM THE HARD DRIVE.

DO NOT DO THIS
There is no reason to permanently delete a wav file from a current project.

Regions in the region list don't usually slow down a session unless there are 10,000 of them.

What I'm thinking is that you've got multiple playlists for all the tracks, AND you have the preference to cut on all related playlists. That's why when you make 1 cut you get 12 regions instead of 2.

Next, since the computer is slowing down because of region cutting, delete the "Digidesign Database" folders on all the drives.

Back in Pro Tools set your default recording length to 15 minutes.

its 3 regions, as its the original whole region; usually bold in the region list, and the two regios made by seperating.
You're best off selecting unused regions and CLEARING not deleting, then doing a save session copy as to archive and to save resources before mixing, but unless you've bd'ed an albums worth of songs in one session it shoulodnt be a problem

Thanx AudioGeekZine!!!
I've done all that u said and it works great! No more strange regions! No more performance slowdowns during separation commands! Thanx You saved me so much time, dude!