Pro Tools Feature wish list (Excluding ADC please)

Just want to echo the request for Auto-Fade. Would work wonders when editing in PT. Waiting for their fades to render is one of the most time consuming tasks when editing. Takes me about 10 to 15 mins to render a whole song worth of drum fades (hit by hit) on the i7.

Slip editing would be great.

Input trim at the top of the mixer window channels would be great.

And here's the main one:

Time Compression/Expansion feature added to Beat Detective. Much like Adam's Reaper script, so you can set a 'maximum gap' value after which the region no longer drags back over itself, but rather time stretches the region before it to fill the gap.

Visible waveforms when dragging.

Fix fades on beat detective so they don't take years to render! It worked fine on 7.4

You should grab the Massey Talkback plugin, it does exactly this, super handy. It also mutes when the signal is over a certain threshold, so if a drummer start smashing his kit the talkback mic will mute.

!!!!

please tell me they make a version of this in vst? or some equivalent! i want this so so so bad.

Oh yea, I would love to be able to pull the Midi edit window out of pro tools and onto a different screen like I can with plugs
?
There's an inline, docked and floating MIDI editor. Go to window>MIDI editor for the floating one.

Stay in grid mode with multitool and hold apple to move in slip. Multitool overrides 'match criteria' that appears when apple+clicking in selection mode and is more convenient for editing anyway. Saves me a lot of time.

select shuffle mode, hold shift, select Grid mode
This works how you'd expect.

Now select slip mode, hold shift, select Grid mode
this works like grid mode. so feature is broken

I do it your way currently but it'd be nice to have the feature working.

Kinda, it's true slip to the nearest ms. I want true true slip mode

No, it's true slip to the nearest sample, and that's exactly how it should be. You do not want to be editing things outside of a sample grid, placing things between samples and stuff. Things get rounded then, sound out of phase, etc. This is a big issue in Reaper right now that is being addressed in version 4 because it was too flexible in how it let you place material.

What use is moving something half a sample? When it plays back, it has to round that sample to the nearest sample based on your sample rate anyways, so instead of letting you think you're placing something somewhere and then playing it back somewhere else, Pro Tools makes you decide what sample to place it at which is much better in my opinion and results in no unexpected behavior.

Kinda, it's true slip to the nearest ms. I want true true slip mode

AFAIK its to the nearest sample... slip

EDIT: yeh, nearest sample. Adam's a DAW encyclopedia!

select shuffle mode, hold shift, select Grid mode
This works how you'd expect.

Now select slip mode, hold shift, select Grid mode
this works like grid mode. so feature is broken

I do it your way currently but it'd be nice to have the feature working.

Yeh I've always thought that was weird but I'm really not fussed about holding a key + clicking for slip mode TBH

Didn't realize it was Mac only. It works flawlessly though on Mac, tons of pros use it and I have used it many times with no issues, as well as other PT engineers I know. Steven Massey worked for TL Labs, I highly doubt he would code a plugin that broke Pro Tools ;)

I realize. I like his plugs and trust him. For whatever reason AVID doesn't acknowledge his plugins on the compatibility list. CT4 and Transfuser do no play well together, crashes PT.

My point is I'd like the feature implemented. Cubase has this.

I realize. I like his plugs and trust him. For whatever reason AVID doesn't acknowledge his plugins on the compatibility list. CT4 and Transfuser do no play well together, crashes PT.

My point is I'd like the feature implemented. Cubase has this.

I don't disagree, a proper Talkback track type would definitely be handy! Was just hoping to offer you an interim solution!

I'd like to see a zeroed mix save function, so a way of saving a mix with no plug ins and everything set to zero, so when a label wants the hard drive back, you are not sending all your mix secrets. I know theres ways to do this but it'd be nice to have in the save as function.
Stem bounces and offline bouncing also.

Totally agree.

What I do right now is (and this is a slightly less pain in the ass) is I open a new session, session import excluding plugins/automation/panning etc etc. It would be alot easier to do all at once, but the new session/selective import works for me.

Lots of great ideas!

Also for those that don't know avid now has a place to share ideas as well...

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/ideafactory.do?mode=hot&pageOffset=1

Just select the all group and hold down alt and turn off a plugin. It should turn off all plugins. Same as hold alt and click on a fader. All faders should reset to zero. Seriously takes like 5secs.

Just select the all group and hold down alt and turn off a plugin. It should turn off all plugins. Same as hold alt and click on a fader. All faders should reset to zero. Seriously takes like 5secs.

well, if you have like 6-7 inserts and 5-6 sends it takes some more time...
You'll also have to "show and make active" all the inactive tracks or the plugs won't be removed from those.
and the main problem: all the automation (which is different on all the tracks),. so you'll have to show volume automation of all the tracks, delete that, switch to whatever different types of automation the individual tracks have (panning, sends, EQs, mutes etc) and delete those as well.
of course it works, but it defeinitely takes longer than 5 mins if you've got a complicated session.
and then it's still very likely that you forgot that odd track with the weird automation.

it's really easier and faster to just consolidate all the files and export them as wavs, then import into new session...but even then you'll have to search through the hidden/inactive tracks first to make sure you're not missing the guitar DIs etc...PITA

(btw, I didn'tedit your post, just hit "edit" instead of "quote" by accident.then cancelled, hence that line saying I edited your post

well, if you have like 6-7 inserts and 5-6 sends it takes some more time...
You'll also have to "show and make active" all the inactive tracks or the plugs won't be removed from those.
and the main problem: all the automation (which is different on all the tracks),. so you'll have to show volume automation of all the tracks, delete that, switch to whatever different types of automation the individual tracks have (panning, sends, EQs, mutes etc) and delete those as well.
of course it works, but it defeinitely takes longer than 5 mins if you've got a complicated session.
and then it's still very likely that you forgot that odd track with the weird automation.

it's really easier and faster to just consolidate all the files and export them as wavs, then import into new session...but even then you'll have to search through the hidden/inactive tracks first to make sure you're not missing the guitar DIs etc...PITA

(btw, I didn'tedit your post, just hit "edit" instead of "quote" by accident.then cancelled, hence that line saying I edited your post
there is a select all automation in the select group somewhere.....

Edit... It's
Edit Menu/Clear Special/All Automation.

Polarity invert button on channel strips

polarity flip and trim knob at the beginning of the channelstrip, like it has been forever in cubendo.

My point is I'd like the [talkback] feature implemented. Cubase has this.

where?

Localized keyboard shortcuts

And I wouldn't mind customizeable keyboard shortcuts either, but even localized + laptop keyboard alternatives would be great as most of the laptops don't have a numpad, and for example some of the basic functions like "link timeline and edit selection" keyboard command (shift + /) or "play edit selection" and "play timeline selection" (option + [ or option + ]), just to name a few, aren't even possible to execute, because to make a forward slash you need to press shift + 7 and for brackets you need to press option + 8 or option + 9.