Cubase 5 question 'Urgent'

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
I have just up graded from cubase SX3 to 5. I can start a new project and load it up with heaps of stuff, no worries but if I try to open an older mix created in SX3 it will either crash straight away or wait till I either save, or exit the project then freeze and not save.
Any one had similar issues?
Help!

Running a Toshiba Satellite A300 laptop. dual core, 4gb ram Windows 7 clean install.

It just says cubase has incountered a serious unknown problem and had to shut down. Please press OK to see more warnings or cancel to supress further warnings. Or something very similar. It has also come up with a much smaller box just saying cubase has to close once or twice too...

I didn't think SX3 sessions where compatable with Cubase 5?

I had to convert some sx3 sessions once and had a nightmare. Had to export as OMF and import into Reaper, then convert to wavs and drop into Logic. ( or something like that )

and once you had done this, you re-insert the plugins and it worked fine?

Well, I had to adjust them one by one, taking notes of the settings of each one... a pain in the ass.

Another thing that I usually do, is export the tracks to xml, and import them to a new project in Cubase 5. Sometimes works... but again, the delays and reverbs usually crash C5 when importing.