Mixed a live gig last wed and used pair of AKG C214 for the first time...

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
...and I really have to say that they were actually quite fucking good pair of overheads for the price (650€ matched pair, 285€ single). The lack of pattern switching is propably the only thing that is a dealbreaker for me getting them (I plan to do a bit of movie recording too, so I need omni too), but for overheads they are pretty fucking nice. Considering you can get like three of them for the price that a single C414 (2190€ matched pair, 990€ single), it's almost a no-brainer deal if you like the sound of C414.

The lack of pattern switching is propably the only thing that is a dealbreaker for me getting them

yea but aren't they supposed to pretty much be a 414 that costs less because it's cardioid only?

yea but aren't they supposed to pretty much be a 414 that costs less because it's cardioid only?

That is exactly what they are. The thing is though, I have not seen to many 214s used. You can find 414 mics for the cost of a new 214 all over the place. Actually, before HC.com was nuked someone was selling a 414 for $400 shipped CONUS.