Mixing a 2 piece blues rock band

AndrewB

That Darn Kid
Jul 21, 2011
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I'm trying to mix a 2 piece band (drums, guitar, and vocals), but I'm having trouble figuring out how to deal with the low end that would normally be occupied by the bass. Have you guys ever encountered something like this?

Realistically I think there will always be a hole there. Have you tried running the guitar amp through a bass cab, don't know how much that will achieve though....

If I were doing the project, I would have the guitarist play bass on everything, if you don't have one borrow one, but I would have him do that. It will sound way better than nothing, and better than trying to add low-end with the guitar.

record direct guitar
pitch shift down
add some grit distortion
and you now have bass

like so:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were doing the project, I would have the guitarist play bass on everything, if you don't have one borrow one, but I would have him do that. It will sound way better than nothing, and better than trying to add low-end with the guitar.

^

record direct guitar
pitch shift down
add some grit distortion
and you now have pitch shifted guitar

Fixed. :heh:

Pitch shifted guitar can work out sometimes, but it's never a 100% replacement as it lacks the true sonic qualities you can only get with a real bass. May not be the best idea for something like blues rock where you will hear the bass better than in a metal context. Not to mention that you aren't just pitch shifting the notes, you are pitching down the pick/finger attack, the string noise, everything.