Mixing a live band "on stage"?

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
What kind of tips would you give someone if he had to make sure a band sounds good but with little to no PA assistance? It's a small venue, probably no more than 120 people capacity and that would be packed, it's all wooden walls, with wooden floor and a big wooden pillar in the middle, there is a PA but it's just a big Behringer mixer connected to active monitors and that's it, no compressors, eq, or any rack equipment whatsoever, normally in this place they mic guitar amps, they use one overhead for drums (no need for stereo in such a small place), they mic or trigger snare and kick drum, bass can vary, mostly it's line out of the bass amp if possible, or just plain DI if not. Obviously the first thing is to make sure the band itself sounds good and powerful through their amps and gear, but does anyone here have any experience with effectively reinforcing the sound with the amp, given that all I have to "mix" the sound is a behringer eurorack mixer (IIRC no effects, although it might have, don't remember). I've been to several gigs there and generally they all sound pretty good, I played there 1 1/2 years ago and it sounded pretty well, with the assistance of two pretty good friends who do live sound well. This time around I'll be assisting my buddies in Human Error for whom I mixed their Ep, just wanted to make sure there's nothing special I should know, so feel free to share your experiences, tips, do's and don'ts!

Edit: Another pain in the ass is that last time I was there, the mixer was right to the left of the band on the stage, so it's difficult to actually hear the PA cause I would have to be moving back and forth, but oh well

Well that sucks that the mixer is not in front of the PA, but I've had to deal with this situation too.. you walk out, listen, walk back and make changes.

You can mic the amps but you will probably not end up using much of them in the PA mix.. most of the time in small venues I mic the amps and put a TINY bit of them in the PA and then use that to boost leads.

This is how my input list would look in a small club like that.. kick, snare, rack tom, floor tom, bass, di (for keys/samples/whatever) 2 guitar channels, 3 vocal channels.

For smaller systems the less you use in the PA the better. Just get the kick and vocals above the rest of the band, then worry about everything else.

If you have one, bring a stereo compressor to use as a master bus compressor. Even a behringer or something will work. If you can knock 3-6dB off the kick/snare transients you will get a lot more headroom out of the PA before you start clipping anything. If you have a 2 channel interface you can use that too, and use all your plugins on the master (as long as they don't induce latency).

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, I'll see what I can do about the compressor or the interface. Problem is I have nothing cause the gig's in Venezuela where I'm going on vacation, and I'm not taking any gear, so I'll see if I can get anything borrowed over there. The band are my best friends and I did their Ep so given the coincidence I'm gonna be there for their first gig I'm gonna help them with the sound, it's nothing too big.

For smaller systems the less you use in the PA the better. Just get the kick and vocals above the rest of the band, then worry about everything else.

+100

Don't be afraid to walk on stage and turn their amps up/down to get the right balance instead of relying on the PA for that.

Great thing about small rooms is the energy of the band makes up for a lack of gear. I'll take bodies in the room over a great PA in front of no one any day.

Have fun.

Tom

oh yeah I have full disclosure to mess with their amp settings and everything so I won´t be afraid haha

Any tips specifically on making the bass amp heard well through the guitars? I´ve heard adding a little mids (instead of scooping) usually helps

I use the bass guitar to fill in that frequency hole in between the kick drum and the guitars. How audible it is in the mix is subject to whatever bass the guy is using and how good (or bad) the tone is

lift the guitar cabs from the stage a bit using beer crates

guitars/bass volume relative to drumset

amplify kick and vocals

lots of running back and forth

small gigs are fucking ace.....hot, sweaty, loud and intense. the way all shows should be!! the only thing that pisses me off though is the kick and the toms (sometimes the snare too) are almost inaudible cause the guitarists amps are super cranked. and depending on the quality of the PA, the vocals always suffer too. So I bet you'll either find yourself turning the guitar amps down a lot to get the levels right (which the guitarists will then crank back up when you're not looking!) or you'll be ramping the PA to get the kick, toms and vox to cut through nice. if they're a cool bunch of guys then they'll listen to you and trust your word that the sound will be good if they do what you say! good luck dude! \m/

onetruth said:
small gigs are fucking ace.....hot, sweaty, loud and intense. the way all shows should be!! the only thing that pisses me off though is the kick and the toms (sometimes the snare too) are almost inaudible cause the guitarists amps are super cranked. and depending on the quality of the PA, the vocals always suffer too. So I bet you'll either find yourself turning the guitar amps down a lot to get the levels right (which the guitarists will then crank back up when you're not looking!) or you'll be ramping the PA to get the kick, toms and vox to cut through nice. if they're a cool bunch of guys then they'll listen to you and trust your word that the sound will be good if they do what you say! good luck dude! \m/

Thanks a lot (to everyone) for all the tips, I certainly will take everything into account. Good thing is they're very close friends of years, we've worked together several times and they trust me blindly to help them so I hope they'll understand when I tell them not to crank the amps :lol: