30 Seconds to Mars Snare sound on the song a beautiful life advice

0 Xero 0

New Metal Member
Dec 27, 2010
I don't know if this has been discussed much, but the snare on the aforementioned sounds awesome. I read that the mixer used a live snare with a sample played around -9 dB or so simultaneously. Does anyone have any samples or tips for me to get close to that sound? Thanks!

I think a few of those songs off that album were in that game rockband. If you have the program Audacity, it can open mogg files from the game, and it allows you to listen to individual tracks, like guitar, snare, vocals, bass, etc.

If you search google, you can probably find what you are looking for.

I didn't know about the rock band trick. I actually did a lot of searching on google but it didn't turn anything up. That's why I came here. Thanks!

Thats actually for the album after the one I'm referring to. There is a thread about the beautiful lie album and that's where I read about how they recorded a live snare and mixed it with a sampled snare at a lower decibel level. I don't have live drums though. Only samples and vstis.

Well, it turns out that they have 30 seconds to mars tracks on guitar hero and rock band, but not the track, a beautiful lie. Bollocks >__<'

Try this sample:

It was posted by Morgan C a long time ago if im not mistaken.
Cant remember the details but I think it was based on the snare from The kill from the album and had the goal of sounding in the same ballpark as that one.

I just checked the sample, and it should get you atleast close with some tweaking of your own.

Give it a try
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1709665/Morgan snare.rar

I don't know if this has been discussed much, but the snare on the aforementioned sounds awesome. I read that the mixer used a live snare with a sample played around -9 dB or so simultaneously. Does anyone have any samples or tips for me to get close to that sound? Thanks!

From what I know, Ryan always para comp drum shell (kick and snare) and mix that back. Fatso on the para bus btw.

As far as sample go, generally it's mostly Slate room sample for re create bigger live room.

Hope that help...

@Williamn Thanks a bunch! That's exactly what I'm looking for or as close as I'm going to get. I really appreciate it.

Hey, I'm using Super Drum FX as my drum vst and it's decent, however the mixer for each drum only has an eq with a high and low knob. I'd really like one with a graphic or parametric eq to tweak the each drum better. Are there any free vsts out there with that capability? Thanks!

That would be hilarious if I wanted the mogg file for those tracks. There is a song called "A Beautiful Lie". That song is not known by any other name like "The Kill" or "From Yesterday". Just sayin...