Petrucci album snare sound

U

unclefu

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm trying to get a snare sound just like on John Petrucci's album, Suspended animation. Here's one of the songs from the album (not too great quality, but I hope you get the idea):

I'm trying to get the sound by sampling, so I would like to know what samples or kit would you recommend for it? And a side question: is this the kind of snare sound that is called the "ringy snare"?

Thanks in advance for any tips and answers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the kick on this album so I sampled it. The snare has too much bottom mic for my tastes though. So a good starting point is to have samples of a snare mic'ed from above and below and finding the right blend for those. Other than that this actually sounds very unprocessed for me. I'd probably get that sound with Sony Sonnox Dynamics and very minor EQ.

I'm agressive and drunk atm so this is post is not trying to attack you in any way since I'm able to be reasonable and drunk at the same time. <3

Lol, match eq some drums!

As for the snare, it can be done with SD2.0 avatar, I can't remember which snare it was, but pull some low end off and compress to high hell. Also check out the samples of Chris Adler's "LoG" snare, as that is pretty on the spot as well. Maybe even a little snare blending of the two, that's what I would personally do.

Yeah I've done that with good results. Would love to hear the kind of snare sound you've got. ;)

I was being sacrastic, but sounds pretty interesting no less.

To the OP or anyone else for that matter that has SD2.0, here is a quick preset on the Avatar Library that I whipped up in like 10 minutes that sounds pretty damn convincing to the OP's video.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1170463/Petrucci Snare.s20