architects hollow crown snare sound

departed

Jan 2, 2010
London, UK
man, i love this snare sound. i've been trying to incorperate this smacky middy sound in my mixes recently and it's not been going well. obviously the snare/samples you use will make a difference as to how you would process a snare to sound like this but outhouse studios (where it was tracked and i presume mixed) get this sound all the time with snares.

sorry it's youtube, my dropbox isn't working right now so i cant upload a clip of this but you get the general idea

i've found i've got sort of there with relatively heavy compression, an eq with boost at around 340hz and one of the stock logic space designer reverb impulses that i like blended in there.

the sample im doing this processing to is the slate snare 3, unfortunately i can't upload a clip of what i have at the minute but has anyone got any general pointers on getting this sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this snare too... and it's pretty unlike what you'd hear in most metal mixes. Don't think you'd get there with a slate sample... if the studio is putting out other mixes with similar snare sounds, I'd guess it's a home made sample they're using.

i usually boost my snare in the 200 region so it doesnt sound like a little tick. what reverb are you using on space desinger ? i use logic to :D

oh and i think The Arusha Accord recorded at the same place that architects recorded hollow crown (I could be wrong tho) its obviously a different snare tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks greyskull, much appreciated. i'm going there in december to record an ep during which i planned to watch very closely but its a bit long to wait for this one mix i'm working on :D.

Yeah thats an awesome production. I love it because it doesn't have the typical boring slate sound to it.

Greyskull, its gonna be interesting to see what you find out :)

Outhouse are good at what they do, but they're fucking lazy!

Listen to the last records done at Outhouse by The Arusha Accord, Architects, Your Demise, The Eyes of A Traitor, You Me At Six and they all sounds fucking identical.

Every aspect of each mix sounds exactly the same, their snare sound is great on here, but on alot of their other stuff it has no body, just the crack attack

i agree it mostly sounds the same. but most producers have their 'sound'.

and im pretty sure it's not a sample. i'll quote sam carter the vocalist "fuck triggers. fuck pro tools. fuck autotune."

they did their new one with Terry Date and it was mixed by steve evetts

Outhouse are good at what they do, but they're fucking lazy!

Listen to the last records done at Outhouse by The Arusha Accord, Architects, Your Demise, The Eyes of A Traitor, You Me At Six and they all sounds fucking identical.

Every aspect of each mix sounds exactly the same, their snare sound is great on here, but on alot of their other stuff it has no body, just the crack attack

Totally agree but Architects HC blow my yammy since 3 days. Really dig the mix:OMG:

Outhouse definitely has a sound.It may not be my thing, but the kids dig it. And people over here seem to like it.
They do a decent result for a decent price.
Even if they do use cubendo ;)

not a sample on hollow crown?? you gotta be fucking kidding me. are you deaf?

edit... think it's John Mitchell who mixed all the hits. Don't actually know him.
Will see if i can find through other peeps though

Yeah ive heard their toning it down aswell, dont know how much though, would be bummed if it was pussy......