Struggling to pull this snare sound :( PLEASE HELP!!!

*KeepControl*

Aug 26, 2009
Im not getting out of metal foundry the right snare sound. I feel like ive tried everything i can and im getting no where. My favourite snare sound ever is bulbs. The link below is the metal foundry test clip he posted.
Im looking for something along the lines of this kinda sound and im struggling.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/537258-bulb-metal-foundry-test-clip.html

EDIT - ITS ACTUALLY THE THIRD SONG DOWN IN HIS SOUNDCLICK PROFILE

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=147108

Could anyone give me any tips on which snare to use, what kind of processing? maybe a quick guideline? should i send it to snare group in superior mixer? ive got alot of questions i need answered. I have researched the crap outof it and theres not much on it besides what snare to use and thats really about it

Im on my knees here so any help will be amazingly appreciated. Im close to giving up...

dude..that snare..
sounds like someone is slapping their shoe on the floor, trying to get dirt or shit off it
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

+ a bit of reverb

thats so fucked
the other thread with the same drums post
everyone says the snare is sick
i think its absolute garbage!!!! :lol:

and i dont know why
i guess its all with taste?

I like that snare sound dude! Have you tried sending him a PM about how he got it sounding like that?

Yeah i did but i didnt get a response...

I dont want that exact sound just something similar.

Really desperate

anyone know of any tips on getting this sound?

I understand alot of ppl love/hate this snare in particular.

I wanna stick to mF if possible.

Can anyone else help?

you know what
im sorry, all i did was comment on your thread and not help you
seriously, im sorry.

for that snare, i guess just lose the high mids like... anywhere from 2K till about 11K * but thats just an estimated guess *
im just giving you an idea where to cut
and boost a bit of the low mids..

but MOST IMPORTANTLY
make sure you have a decent enough snare sample with little or no chain rattle

whats frustrating is that all superior snares have a decent amount of chain rattle. My biggest problem is getting the correct pitch and trying to cut out the rattle

whats frustrating is that all superior snares have a decent amount of chain rattle. My biggest problem is getting the correct pitch and trying to cut out the rattle

I share your frustration, I am using MF however I am using the Rogerwood Snare and the main Sabian Dry Ride from the Avatar library as X-pads. That works so much better than the out of tuned, ringy, overhamonic snares in MF. They take too much processing which makes them sound unnatural.

Just so you know..

That thread that you linked just said "the 2nd song on this page", and its clearly a very old link. So the 2nd song on the soundclick/myspace page isn't the one he's referring to (and probably isn't MF, listening to it).

But honestly, just smash the snare to fuck. If you're really struggling, try multiband compression. One band <250hz, one >2khz, one in between. Smash.

Just so you know..

That thread that you linked just said "the 2nd song on this page", and its clearly a very old link. So the 2nd song on the soundclick/myspace page isn't the one he's referring to (and probably isn't MF, listening to it).

But honestly, just smash the snare to fuck. If you're really struggling, try multiband compression. One band <250hz, one >2khz, one in between. Smash.

Thanks morgan

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=147108

its the third song down, my mistake

but the prelude bombfare ff7 cover is not much different to his MF snare.

Thankyou for the advice! will try this tomorrow

anyone else?

turn down the bottom snare mic if you dont like rattle
and use the envelope

Funny you guys talking about envelopes and annoying harmonics.. that's the whole point of the 'Bulb' snare. He's said a number of times that he doesn't use any gates or anything like that, the ring is part of the sound.

Argh.. how much more info do you want? You haven't actually TRIED any of it have you?

I was using another snare sample, with the processing discussed here. Limiting, multiband compression, more compression, etc. Then I switched it to a Sup2 sample that I had, and tada.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/BuuulbSnare.mp3

No its not 100% but it's in the ballpark. Just try it dude, stop thinking.

Argh.. how much more info do you want? You haven't actually TRIED any of it have you?

I was using another snare sample, with the processing discussed here. Limiting, multiband compression, more compression, etc. Then I switched it to a Sup2 sample that I had, and tada.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/BuuulbSnare.mp3

No its not 100% but it's in the ballpark. Just try it dude, stop thinking.

sorry dude i dont mean to get on your nerves.
Since starting this thread i have tried everything thats been said from both sides and have not really got any results. Bulb did tweak his presets for a year before finding the sound so its just going to take a bit of time.
Its also confusing when 2 people on the forum who i respect as AE's have completely different opinions on a matter.
ill upload something when i get a little closer to what im going for