Massive Snare

goonies_sloth.jpg

SvenAHC: If your reverb is washing the presence out of your snare, try using a room impulse and cut 1k/3k/5k on the reverb return with an EQ and see what happens.

Ermz: I've been thinking the same for a while now.

A bit off topic, but do you guys find yourselves mic'ing toms like that? With the mic pointing down at the outer edge of the drum? Normally my tom mic's are placed more like how the snare mic is, quite flat and pointing more across the drum in order to get a nice amount of stick attack.

I know I've seen Romesh doing similar placement on his toms so thinking I should give it a go.

A bit off topic, but do you guys find yourselves mic'ing toms like that? With the mic pointing down at the outer edge of the drum? Normally my tom mic's are placed more like how the snare mic is, quite flat and pointing more across the drum in order to get a nice amount of stick attack.

I know I've seen Romesh doing similar placement on his toms so thinking I should give it a go.

I find myself doing it like that tbh. Pull them back more than I used to these days, as well. with MD421 that placement is particularly important but even on my D2/D4/D6's on toms I like them towards the edge.

I find myself doing it like that tbh. Pull them back more than I used to these days, as well. with MD421 that placement is particularly important but even on my D2/D4/D6's on toms I like them towards the edge.
I go for 45 degrees-ish aimed center. With that kit you could get away with whatever, but my main concern is bleed. Whatever extra stick attack I get from aiming across is irrelevant if it means I get a ton of some other piece mucking up the tone.

You can actually buy this exact samples from Cams (Cameron Mizell, the Engineer behind Memphis May Fire with more) from his site.

And just to clarify, the samples is from his own kit. I see nothing wrong with using your own samples from the actual kit.

Just to clarify this, the samples available on his site are samples he recorded then blended with slate samples and rooms. He mixes and rebrands slate stuff all the time. Also, this drum sound sucks and is stupid easily achievable, all you're liking is the compression and room impulses. Just get a solid snare track, throw hard samples of the real snare with one shots, compress pretty hard on the sample tracks, then throw a slate room on there and a room IR.... Then quit engineering because you wanted to emulate a Chango drum sound.

Just to clarify this, the samples available on his site are samples he recorded then blended with slate samples and rooms. He mixes and rebrands slate stuff all the time. Also, this drum sound sucks and is stupid easily achievable, all you're liking is the compression and room impulses. Just get a solid snare track, throw hard samples of the real snare with one shots, compress pretty hard on the sample tracks, then throw a slate room on there and a room IR.... Then quit engineering because you wanted to emulate a Chango drum sound.

Hahaha. On a serious note if it's possible I'd love for Slate to bring the hammer down if his samples really are being rebranded :fu:

Haha. Where´d you get that info?

If someone is taking my samples and then mixing it in with their own crappy drum hits, and then selling them...... then I feel too sorry for them to take action. Because that's ridiculously stupid.

It's like, rather than buy that nice shirt, I'm going to buy the same shirt that someone sewed into their own crappy turtleneck.

Cheers,
Steven