Mixed Drums For Your Reference

Great job man. I really like how smooth yet aggressive the drums are sounding. I'd like to hear 'em with some guitars and bass ;)

When I use the Overstayer, as I have here, it's all on a single 'shell bus', so all of them get sent equally. Snare usually gets another parallel comp for extra fatness.

@kev: Only a single Distressor. I print the kick through it most times, then double it back in parallel on snare in real time.

Well this thread is quite old now, but I think it's ok to grab it out :D

One question about samples I'm interested in: When you use samples for e.g. the kick do you strict always use unprocessed samples or sometimes pre-processed samples?

@ Ermz : is the sample a mastered version of the drum (Stem) or just a mixed version drum ? I ask that because comparing to my drum mix, yours is very loud in volume...

Could someone answer to my question please ?

Uhhh... did you not read his first post? :lol:

....... So what you have here is drums that are very heavily parallel & serial compressed with outboard compressors, despite the fact that they're playing a lot of double-kick.

I'll run through some basic things done to process them.

Kick: 100% replaced. Broad sculpting EQ done with a Millennia Origin to suck out low-mids, emphasize the click and bump the subs. ~6dB of compression done with a Distressor.

Snare: ~60% replaced. EQ'd with Duende Native strip. Serial compression with a DBX 160VU, and parallel compression with Distressor.

Toms: All natural. EQ and compression with Duende Native strip. Bus compression with CLA-76, and surgical EQ with eQuality.

Overheads: Compressed with Nebula SSL 4k channel compression. EQ with eQuality and Nebula.

All drums: Parallel compressed with Overstayer Stereo Compressor. Run through multiple stages of Nebula CLC saturation. Limited with L1. Run through GSSL on the stereo bus.

Hope this is useful to someone.

I know, reading is hard. Compressed, Limited, run through GSSL = loudness. :loco:

Yes, i'm ok but you didn't red my post correctly

I know that his drums are heavily compressed , eq and limited !!

what I ask is " are the drums an exported MIXED version or MASTERED version"

I ask that because my drums are Heavily compressed, eq and limited but they sounds very much lower than his drums.

That's why I ask if it is a Master drum or a mix drum.

I liked the compresson , on the Kick and Snare, what Distressor did you use, I was just courious, my only concern was how the Drums with the reverb sound in the Mix

Great Bassdrum and Cymbals ... Snare is a bit flat to me. But sounds much better in the artificial reverb version.

How do you keep the punch tightness while adding that much reverb on the drumbus? That's something that never works for me, so I'm tending to mix them more dry.