HUUUUUUUUUUUGEEEEEEE Snare Sound?

Vinny

Jun 4, 2009
New Braunfels, Texas
Anyone know how to acheive this?

Such as-
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3m3pM3Z-8Q&ob=av2n[/ame]

Its most noticeable at around 3:06.

Common sense tells me its just a bunch of different snares combined, each with their own EQ and very slightly panned (no more than about 15% either side) with huge amounts of reverb. Problem is, I am not satisfied at all with it, and it just sounds like a single snare that is excessively loud with an inglorious amount of reverb.

Haha, so any help? I would greatly appreciate it.

It also sounds like for the reverb part of it, Joey Sturgis reversed the snare, automated and edited it a bit and cut out the actual "hit" (Just like you would for a reverse cymbal intro similar to "Meaning In Tragedy" by As I Lay Dying), and then reversed it again so that it sounds like a normal snare (of course without the actual hit sound as stated previously) and combined it with the regular snare hit.

I achieve something like this very simply.

First of all. make sure that you drums have a healthy amount of reverb on the snare and the kit.
I use only 2 snares. I actually make the 2 snares the exact same except one has a huge hall reverb on it and is reversed.
I don't take the hit out of the reverse. that way the hit is full of extra hall reverb. which is the main part of making it sound so huge.
Being that it's a match up of both the normal up front snare and the full of reverb snare it gives the illusion (along with nicely panned reverb sends and aux group tracking between the original snare's reverb sends/pans and the hall reversed snare's sends/pans) that the snare is really big.
Of course you have to make sure balance the 2 snare tracks together well. obviously.

I think your method might be good too.

Sounds mostly like a Z4 being sent to a large chamber/hall verb. 3:06 sounds like reverse verb on vox, and a reverse Z4 bomb.

Dunno about a ton of different snares combined. Just sounds like the one in the center, with the Z4 doing most of the ambiance work.

also. the reverb on the vocals help to add impact.

one thing that I noticed about Sturgis is that it always sounds like he glues the vocal reverbs with the snare/OH reverbs.
I imagine he uses the same Aux and pumps all if it through one or several very similar aux tracks.

I tend to pump my Snare & Vocals through the same reverb Aux track and just make each send pan pot the different places in the spectrum.
it creates a great atmosphere imhp.

this is a sturgis production if I'm not mistaken, and you can actually buy that snare or the one used on their old album from joey's sample site. Joey if this is completely wrong please don't flame me!!

is z4 the name of one of the actual snares or the way it's being processed?

Not exactly true, it's a subfolder under the name of the actual snare, from when WAVs were included with SSD... from the SSD drums manual

The Z System
You will notice that when you click on a drum’s folder, you find three more folders, labeled Z1, Z3, Z4, and Z5. Every drum hit on Steven Slate drums is sampled in four ambient zones, to cater to different mixes. Below each Z sample is described.

Z1
The Z1 mono samples are the most common used default sample. They have a minimal amount of overhead micing combined with close micing which gives them a three dimensional, full, punchy sound. The Z1’s have air, depth, dimensionality, and impact making them a great all around place to start when using the Steven Slate Drum Samples.

Z3
The Z3 samples are only printed with the very closest mics to the drum. They are very dry and do not have air but are processed to retain the punch of the Z1. Common uses for the Z3 are when mixing in with real drums, or to use for ultra dry drum mixes in certain music genres such as heavy metal.

Z4
The Z4 samples are stereo, real room ambient mic’d samples, recorded in a large concrete warehouse. They are processed heavily with compression, eq, and even modulation. When mixed in with the Z1 samples, the mixer can adjust the amount of stereo room sound in the drum mix. Listening to the Z4 samples solo’d may sound strange, but joining them with their corresponding Z1 samples in a mix should present the listener with a very rich, deep, and natural sound. Later we will discuss how to properly use the Z4s.

Z5
The Z5 samples are a set of mics from the famous NRG Recording Studio A room. This room sound is big and open sounding with great depth and detail. The Z5 NRG samples are completely unprocessed allowing the user to compress, eq, or leave them untouched.

Not exactly true, it's a subfolder under the name of the actual snare, from when WAVs were included with SSD... from the SSD drums manual

The Z System
You will notice that when you click on a drum’s folder, you find three more folders, labeled Z1, Z3, Z4, and Z5. Every drum hit on Steven Slate drums is sampled in four ambient zones, to cater to different mixes. Below each Z sample is described.

Z1
The Z1 mono samples are the most common used default sample. They have a minimal amount of overhead micing combined with close micing which gives them a three dimensional, full, punchy sound. The Z1’s have air, depth, dimensionality, and impact making them a great all around place to start when using the Steven Slate Drum Samples.

Z3
The Z3 samples are only printed with the very closest mics to the drum. They are very dry and do not have air but are processed to retain the punch of the Z1. Common uses for the Z3 are when mixing in with real drums, or to use for ultra dry drum mixes in certain music genres such as heavy metal.

Z4
The Z4 samples are stereo, real room ambient mic’d samples, recorded in a large concrete warehouse. They are processed heavily with compression, eq, and even modulation. When mixed in with the Z1 samples, the mixer can adjust the amount of stereo room sound in the drum mix. Listening to the Z4 samples solo’d may sound strange, but joining them with their corresponding Z1 samples in a mix should present the listener with a very rich, deep, and natural sound. Later we will discuss how to properly use the Z4s.

Z5
The Z5 samples are a set of mics from the famous NRG Recording Studio A room. This room sound is big and open sounding with great depth and detail. The Z5 NRG samples are completely unprocessed allowing the user to compress, eq, or leave them untouched.
Excellent! I only bought SSD EX, so do I have the option of this as well, or is it only for platinum users?

so.. grab your slate gog, select all samples in drumagog, and export to wave;P tadam!!

Well, I never got GOG files either. I sent him an email asking for them but never received them.

Couldn't I just automate the room sound for each hit and essentially get a z4 sound?